Chapter 37

Clytia’s first time under the spotlight wasn’t as bad as she had anticipated. However, she didn’t pay attention to the theme of the gala, neither to the purpose. She wanted it to be over fast.

She had opted for a long black off-the-shoulder dress, much to Daisy’s dismay. She wanted her to go for something more daring, but that was the last thing she wanted. Nolam was also in an all-black suit. They looked pretty good together.

Nolam had a bunch of promotional stuff to do. So he only joined her one hour before the departure to get ready.
In the car on their way to the event, Clytia was looking at the window, without paying attention to the view.

Nolam on the other side was on his phone. She didn’t mind. Actually she liked to remain silent and keep her stress at bay.

When they arrived, Nolam turned on his work mode: head high, smiling, filter with the press. Clytia was following him like a lost puppy, her eyes roaming all over the carpet, almost like she was looking for an escape. Nolam had asked to daisy to keep an eye on her. That way, he knew she would be fine. He noticed how tense she was when the screams and flashlight started. It could be a lot to handle. It was evident that she was nervous. She barely smiled and looked lost.

This was their first public event as a couple. He made sure to whisper soothing words to her whenever he could. All the journalists present wanted to know who she was. He kept her at arm length and introduced her as his better half. She would then, give a small smile here and there, as she was crushing his hand in hers.

He kept a smiling face, knowing that she didn’t she didn’t realize what she was doing.
They were standing in front of the last reporter, when they addressed directly to her.

“Mrs. Winter!” The man said to gain her attention.

Nolam gently pushed her so she was now a little in front of him and kept a hand on her small back.

“This is your first public apparition with your husband. What do you think of all this?” he asked before turning the microphone to her.

Clytia looked at Nolam, her eyes pleading for help. He just smiled to reassure her. She then smiled at the man and answered.

“I have to recognize that it is a little overwhelming. But I am happy to be able to be by the side of this wonderful man.” She finished as she leaned a little against her husband.

“Aww!” the man cooed. “Well congratulations to you guys for the wedding. You make a lovely couple.”

“Thank you!” they both answered.
Once all they were done, they walked inside to the event itself. She seemed to relax a little.

“It wasn’t too bad!” Nolam said as he held her chair for her to sit.

“Yeah”, she replied.

The rest of the night went into a blur. Clytia kept plastered on her face a polite smile. She interacted with her neighbors and pretend to be genuinely happy. But, deep inside, she wanted nothing more than get rid of the dress and go to bed.

Unfortunately for her, Nolam dragged her to an after-party. Playing pretend was getting harder by the seconds. A headache was slowly but surely driving her insane.

However, she didn’t feel like ripping in half the fun Nolam was having. He was at ease, in his element.

Would he be mad at her if she left without any notice? She wondered as she was forcing a laugh at some joke someone had said.

She suddenly felt Nolam’s hands on her waist. He was standing behind her, his breath sending chills against her neck.

“Would you like to dance a little?” he asked before kissing her neck.

She shook her head as she said no.
“You’ve been awfully calm tonight. Everything’s okay?” he asked as he made her face him this time.

His brows were frowned and his normally plumb lips formed a thin line.

“I’m just tired bae. Don’t worry. Go meddle! I’ll be here waiting for you.”

“We can leave now if you don’t feel like staying any longer.” He proposed, his eyes searching hers.

Clytia felt guilty at that moment. He’d always make sure she was comfortable. For once, they were doing what he liked. She couldn’t take that away from him. She took a deep breath, pushing her selfishness on the side and smiled at him to reassure him.

“Don’t worry. I’m good.”

Clytia had to recognize that there was something sexy about the confidence and strength had among his peers. His charming self was a sight for sore eyes.