11- Dealing with the aftermath of vampires

Xander's POV

My fingers trail over the sloppy bitemark on Aurora's neck as I examine the wound carefully. In the corner of my eye, I can see Aurora looking the other way, refusing to look at me. Instead her eyes linger on the window, gazing over the star-covered night sky. Being seated on the edge of my bed gains her a great view of the night outside.

A young vampire bit her, I can tell. One that's not used to drinking from an alive vessel. He didn't stop the bleeding nor mask his scent, that little mistake lead to me figuring out who he is and Ethan is now out looking for him. 

Aurora whimpers under my touch as her thoughts constantly wander to deep regret and weirdly enough, the dress. 

What happened to her exactly I don't know and neither does Ethan, she refuses to tell us. In her thoughts, there's nothing but thoughts of how she could've hidden better or even masked her scent but nothing about the actual incident. That vampire told her something to make sure she keeps her mouth shut, something including her life I bet.

"It was clever of you to put that cloth on." I state as I continue to examine the wound, trying my best not to hurt her further. Her eyes trail to me as we look at each other in the eyes. She gives me a slight nod. 

She's clever, I must give her that. None of my other pets could've survived a night like this but still, this is exactly what I didn't want. She should've stayed by my side or mentioned that she's my pet to that man and he would've left her alone. 

A sigh leaves my lips as I let my hand fall from her neck, her eyes scan me with confusion written all over her face. 

For being so smart she sure is stupid.

"You should have said that you were my pet." I say, breaking the silence in half. 

"I'll remember that till next time." she simply says. 

I sure hope there won't be a next time but you never know with these balls.

At least she's healing quickly and her body is producing more blood as we speak. She should be grateful for being a shifter considering how quickly her body restores itself. Although a little help wouldn't hurt. 

"Would you like an iron pill?" I ask, ready to head towards the bathroom. Aurora shakes her head and I freeze as my eyes inspect her. I place myself on the bed, still staring at her. The more I stare the more uncomfortable she grows, her hands fidgeting with the dress as her eyes fall to her feet under my gaze. "Why not?" I ask making her head snap up, her eyes widened. 

"Well..." she starts, her voice a little raspy from her previous crying, I can see lines traveling from her eyes down her cheek and to her chin, "I don't really need it, do I?" she continues, making her statement sound more like a question. I shake my head, she doesn't. "Then there's no point in taking them. They can instead be used under much more crucial circumstances." she explains as her eyes once again drop to the floor.

She really is smart. 

The door opens and in comes Ethan with Aurora's attacker. I stand up, turning my body towards him while letting a smirk journey to my lips. 

"Greetings John. What a fine night it has been but I see you've had the finest." I say, my smirk growing bigger as fear flashes in his eyes when he sees Aurora behind me.

//Don't forget to vote//