57- It's me

Xander's POV

I sit in my study as I scan through papers, burrowing my sorrows in work. There's nothing else for me to do, the kingdom needs their King. Outside the first spring rain pours onto the ground as gray, almost black clouds form a wall over the blue sky. I sigh as I sign another paper. 

How did Lucius live on after his mate died? I haven't asked him yet, I haven't had the chance. Really I just don't feel like bursting his happy bubble with my depressed ass. He deserves whatever he's getting and I guess so am I. 

I haven't really been that nice to people, especially not Aurora. 

I let the papers lay on the table as I walk over to my bookshelf and pick out one of my favorite books, The little black cat. I smile at the book as I remember how mom used to read it to me and Lucius.

A knock on the door brings me back and I place the book back. 

"Come in." 

A guard of mine walks in with wide eyes before he gives me a bow. His dark, chocolate skin glows against the warm light from my desk lamp. 

"There's a young girl with big wings who would like to speak to you, should I send her in?" he asks as he watches my eyes go wide. 

"Do you mean attachable wings?" 

"No your majesty, real working wings." My eyes widen even more as I turn around, facing my bookshelves. 

Maybe I was wrong, maybe whoever killed that demon wasn't just here for him. 

"Send her in," I say after a moment of me thinking, never turning around to face him. The door closes behind him as I listen to him walking away. As my study falls into silence, I grab a glass of water from my desk and lift it to my lips, slowly sipping on the liquid. 

A light knock is heard once more before the door opens and the girl, I assume, walks in. 

"So you're the king," a sweet and oddly familiar voice says. My whole body freezes as I remember whose voice it is. I whip around as my eyes meet a pair of violet ones. 

"Aurora," I breathe as my body unfreezes and I run up to hug her. My arms wrap around her body, careful not to harm her wings. Instead of her wrapping her arms around me, she stiffens before shoving me off. 

"Do you greet all your guests like this?" she asks with disapproval in her voice as she steps away, her wings almost bringing down one of my vases. She looks at her white feathery attachments and groans before her wings disappear, shrinking into her back.

"Aurora! It's me, your mate!" I exclaim as I step closer but instead she backs away. My heart sinks as I back off.

"You seem to know me but I'm sorry to say, this is the first time I'm meeting you," her voice is apologetic like she knows she should know me. "I'm sorry."