Surface

When I left the hotel room my initial plan was to go straight to Mama's house, drop Zion off then go meet Sevyn and Neesha for brunch since it was our last day before we flew back home; but clearly Chris had not only made other plans for us, but he had completely forgotten about our conversation the night before, because he called me on some extra nice shit.

"Hey." I answered and waited on him to give just as much of a dry response.

"Hey, you good?" He asked sounding a lot happier than I'd anticipated and it almost made me pull the phone from my ear to make sure I was talking to the right person.

"Uh yeah, what's up why you calling?" I asked bluntly and heard him chuckle on the other end.

"Damn Kam you can sound a little happy to hear from me." I rolled my eyes at his words and sighed stopping at the light.

"I'm sorry. Really though Chris what?" I urged.

"Where y'all at now?"

"On the way to your mothers house. Why?" I asked because I really didn't want him finding different ways to be around there when I got there. He could go over there once I'd left, he could spend all the time in the world with his son- when I wasn't there.

"Well actually I was hoping you could come to my place." He said and immediately my head began to shake as if he could see me.

"No. No. If you want to see zee he's going to be at mama's I'm not coming there I'm sorry. I got plans." I said letting him down hard and heard him suck his teeth.

"Kamaiyah come on I wouldn't be telling you to come if it wasn't for a reason. I got something for Zion. Just bring him over here, I'll call my ma and tell her what's up she won't mind I promise." He said and although my head was still shaking he was honestly making me reconsider. I just was not in the mood to argue today. Especially not with Chris. Again. But Zion was with mama all of last night and he really hadn't seen his dad at all since we'd been here.

"O- okay fine send me your address, and let me find out you got me bringing him over for nothing." I heard him laugh pleased with himself and before he could speak the sound of cars honking behind me filled my ears causing me to lift my foot off the breaks and manovor off.

"Aight imma text it to you now." He said and I let out an "okay" and ended the call. I really hoped and prayed Chris wasn't on no fuck shit today and that his house was clear of his company.

-

I stepped out of the rented range rover and before I could fully unlock zee's car seat I heard the gate that shielded Chris' home swing open.

I turned and saw him in nothing but BBshorts and a pair of Nike slides.

"Hi." I said before he could speak and he smiled.

"Hey. Lemme get him." He sang and slightly barged me out of the way to get Zion out of the backseat.

"So you can't keep your clothes on for shit huh?" I said as he lead us up the stairs to the house that I remembered all to well. Nothing had changed; the interior was just as beautiful as I'd remembered and the exterior had been covered in graffiti.

"More importantly why you looking?" He shot back jokingly and I shook my head removing the sunglasses I'd been wearing off my face.

"Whatever, what you got us here for Chris I gotta be somewhere in A hour." I said with an attitude and watched him unbuckle Zion and lift him out of his car seat. He didn't reply as he went on making faces at our son.

"Come on." He said and began walking towards his hallway and up the long ass stairs. I requested so many times that he got an elevator fitted in.

When we got to one of the, what I remembered to be guest rooms, he smiled down at me making me twist my mouth up and blink a couple times.