CHAPTER THIRTY-ONE

Henry's funeral had been full of heartbreak and sorrow

Henry's funeral had been full of heartbreak and sorrow. It was raining that day, all of those that were once close to him huddled around the casket with umbrellas and sad faces. Alex found herself wiping away not only her tears, but Barry's as well. He couldn't manage the speech that he so wished to honor his father with.

Instead, it was Joe that spoke about fond memories and the honor that he had brought to all of them. Henry's life hadn't gone as he thought it would, but they couldn't have been more proud of the person that he thrived to he. Barry already missed his dad greatly, he had just gotten him back to lose him once more.

It broke her heart to see him like that. The night before he had been even worse. The moment that they arrived back home to their apartment the night of his death, Barry had finally cracked. As they laid in bed, Alex held him tightly as he bawled for the loss of his father. She understood his pain, the death of her father was what changed her life for the worst.

Alex assured him that he would be alright. Though it didn't feel like it at that moment, Barry would overcome that pain and strive to be the man that his father wanted him to be. He was a hero in Henry's eyes and he always would be - even if Barry didn't feel like much of a hero that night.

After the funeral they had gone to Joe's house. Barry hadn't eaten once since losing Henry and she was getting worried about him. So, once again, Iris had cooked food for them all but this time it wasn't meal of celebration. Alex appreciated everything that the West family was doing for her boyfriend.

Even if she had gone through it all, Alex was never the best at comforting someone. Her communication skills had improved greatly but there were times that she was at a loss of words. Alex felt bad for not being able to always be the one that Barry could confide in, sometimes he needed another point of view.

The house was quiet for the first time since she had joined the team. Barry was glancing out the window, surely thinking about his father while the others quietly chatted among themselves. As always, Cisco tried to keep the mood light, but it was difficult that night. Henry didn't deserve the fate that he had received.

"Hey," Alex was startled at the sudden appearance. She was sitting on the steps in the house, watching her boyfriend suffer in silence. Wally had taken a seat beside her and handed a glass of what looked like whiskey to her. Alexandra accepted it and took a drink from it. "Alex... I-I had no idea you were Mirage."

"I know," she grimaced. "I wanted to keep it that way. Wally, this life that we're living, it's not a good one. Its dangerous, too dangerous for something I ever wanted you to be involved in. That's why I didn't tell you, to protect you. Because I knew the moment that you found out about us, was the moment that you wanted to be a part of the team.

"You can't. I can't lose anyone else I'm close with. You've been through a lot of shit with me but I can't ask you to do this. Being Mirage is something that I have to do on my own, with Barry. You've seen what happens to the people close to us - I can't have that be you, I can't lose you too, Wally," Alex was nearly crying as she spoke. A tear streamed down her face to which he wiped it away and pulled her into a hug.