43. Maybe two different sanctuaries.

Home.

My safe haven. My very own quiet sanctuary.

The only problem with that was, it also gave me time to really mull over everything that happened, and let me tell you, there was a lot of mulling over.

From the involuntary kiss of doom from Luke to possibly losing my only best friend.

I wanted to cry. Hard, loud until I emptied all the tears and stress I had inside, but for some reason, I couldn't.

Not a single tear came to my more than ready eyes.

That scared me.

I couldn't cry. Maybe I've been doing too much crying over the past few days, and I was as dry as a leaf inside.

Maybe the fact that Suzy had turned her back on me surprised me too much to shed a tear.

Or

Maybe I was finally just... Broken.

I went straight to my bedroom upon arriving home. That was about two hours ago, and since then, I've done nothing but lay on top of my bed, staring at the ceiling.

No tears.

No thoughts.

Nothing.

That's was until faint footsteps coming towards my room startled me back to reality.

"Amelia?"

Mom.

I blinked as I turned my head towards my closed door. Why on earth was she home at that time was the only question running through my mind. There was no reason for her to be there. We left together that morning. Her going to work. Me, school.

"Amelia, are you in there?"

My doorknob jerked and flew open the next moment with an unnecessary force, causing it to slam against the inner side of my wall.

I sat up and quirked my eyebrows at her. There really was no need to push the door that hard. What the heck did she think I was doing?

I stared at her. she stared at me. I wasn't supposed to be home, but neither did she.

Mom was the first one to break the silence, but before she did, she let loose a long sigh and stepped inside my room.

"Amelia, what's going on?"

"Why?"

"What do you mean why, honey?" She took a sit on my bed and run her eyes all over my face like she was trying to find out what was different about me. I didn't quiver. I didn't even blink. I looked at her dead in the eyes.

I was definitely, broken.

If that day was like any other day, before I spent my days crying and worrying about things I shouldn't even be worrying in the first place, I would have never been so defiant against my mom. I loved her, she loved me, I would have never challenged her like that. I would have been her loving little girl. I wasn't that little girl anymore. Everything I went through for the past few weeks, hell probably even month, hardened me.

"You are home at this time. I got a phone call from your principal, and guess what she told me?"

I could have guessed if I was in the mood for a guessing game. I wasn't. In fact, I wasn't in the mood for anything anymore.

"Imagine my surprise when she told me apparently, you've missed a total of nineteen classes. "

Wait what? Okay, I couldn't have guessed that even if I wanted to.