[11]

"it's been two weeks since i've kissed that squirrel boy," minho says, eyes glazed over as he plays with the paper wrapping of his straw, crushing it easily in his hand, "and i still don't know his name."

"remind me, why do we call him squirrel boy again?" changbin asks, mild interest spiking in his eyes.

"because his cheeks are round!" minho gestures, making a bowl shape with his hands, "it's really cute. he looks like a squirrel!"

"also, come to think of it," he piped up, making eye contact with his two friends, "i haven't seen him around the campus. do you think he's purposely avoiding me?"

"it's a possibility," hyunjin shrugged, twirling his sleek silver chain around his delicate fingers, "he's probably too embarrassed to face you."

"is that a new necklace?" changbin snorted, ignoring hyunjin's last statement; or the whole conversation really, "sometimes i feel like you buy these things to look down on us."

"what are you talking about?" hyunjin purrs, his innocent smile contrasted with his next few words, "i'm always looking down on you, changbinnie."

hyunjin continues on, not giving changbin a chance to butt in, ignoring the death glare both minho and changbin were sending him.

"and so what if i am?" hyunjin asked, sticking a tongue out at the elder as he waved him off, "i can buy whatever i want."

"well, you're going to need to need that money to plan and pay for a whole funeral service soon, because i swear hwang hyunjin one more time you insult my height——"

"stop squabbling," minho finally burst out, grabbing the two by the collars to shut them up, "i'm struggling with my love life here, and you guys are acting like five year olds. sometimes i really hate being the oldest one here."

"sorry hyung," the other two chorused in unison, all too used to this, and minho rolled his eyes, releasing them roughly with a slight push, "save it."

the popular trio arrived at the café, pushing the door open as the cooling air from the inside rushed out towards the three, the pleasant breeze welcoming them. the smell of warm coffee and baked goods made minho's stomach rumble.

but his hunger was soon forgotten when he spotted someone out of the corner of his eye.

"wait! hyunjin! changbin! look! it's him!" minho let out a gasp, pointing a finger in the direction of a pair of boys in the corner of the café, scrolling on their phones and oblivious to the trio's entry.

"speak of the devil," hyunjin hums to himself, fishing his wallet from the back of his jean pocket.

"hey, who's the other boy?" changbin frowned, peering at the person opposite.

at this, hyunjin snaps his attention to the pair in the far corner, squinting to see the literal red headed boy seated with the black-haired.

"i think i know him," hyunjin crooks his head to the side, thinking deeply, "his name is jeongin, he's in my chemistry class. he sits behind seungmin and i."

"do you..." minho's voice softened tremendously, and his heart sinks in realisation, "do you think they're on a date together?"

"that's also a possibility," hyunjin remarked, "hey, how about one of us go up to them and ask squirrel boy for his name?"

"you kidding?" minho blinked at his best friend incredulously, "i have a better plan. we ask that boy behind the register. he should know if he had taken their order, right?"

"yeah, that makes sense. i'll do it," changbin says confidently, minho returning him a grateful look, "what do you guys want to drink? hyunjin, i'm using your credit card."