Chapter 14: I Knew You Couldn't Resist Me

14. I Knew You Couldn't Resist Me

I overslept the next morning, no surprise there. Aaron and I had been on the phone for a while, even after he left the park.

You know how you meet someone and it feels like you've known them forever? This was like that. It surprised me a little how fast we were able to get this comfortable around each other granted that I'd only been talking to him for like three weeks, but I wasn't complaining.

After getting ready as fast as I could under the circumstances I hurried downstairs for breakfast. If I kept arriving late to school I was bound to face some kind of consequence. My hair didn't do me any justice too. Sometimes I hated it. I wished it could look okay without me even trying, but alas, I was given the thickest curls in the world. I swear, pulling it into a neat ponytail alone was an Olympic sport.

"There you are," Maisie said when I entered the kitchen. She looked like she was having a conversation with Jean, who was seated at the island with a mug in her hand.

"Late again, I know," I sighed.

"Why wouldn't you be?" Jean teased. "I wonder who kept you up that late. Walked by and heard you on the phone in your room."

"Um...Shannon," I lied. "I was talking to Shan."

"You see Shannon at school all the time and yet you two talk on the phone till one in the morning?" she asked, looking skeptical.

I shrugged. "She's my best friend, we have things we talk about."

"Or," Maisie chimed in. "It could be her new boyfriend. What do you think Jean?"

Boyfriend?

"Now that seems like a more believable answer," Jean nodded in agreement.

I rolled my eyes and put some bread in the toaster. "Aaron's not my boyfriend."

"We have a name people," Maisie laughed.

"What were you two chatting about?" Jean asked.

"Different things," I replied, wanting to change the subject. "Why are you here anyway? I thought you were staying over at Scott's apartment?"

"Um, a little less attitude please?" she chuckled. "But I get it, you don't want to talk about it."

Thank you.

"You didn't answer my question though," I said, putting butter on my toast.

"I just decided to come home," she shrugged.

"At one in the morning?"

"You're late, eat up ang go," she told me.

"I'm leaving, I'm leaving," I said, hiking my backpack on one shoulder and taking my toast with me.

"Have a good day!" Maisie yelled after me.

"Yeah you too!" I yelled back.

I got into my car, trying my best to eat my breakfast while driving myself to school. I got to school ten minutes after first period started. That wouldn't have been so bad if I didn't have Bio that morning. My teacher, Mr. Huang, disliked lateness more than anything. I was probably going to get a detention. I got to class at exactly fifteen minutes after the period started and I sighed in relief when I entered. There was a substitute in front of the class. All eyes turned to me.

"Um, sorry I'm late," I said.

The substitute just sighed. "It's fine, just take your seat."

"Thank you," I said gratefully as I walked to my seat.