Chapter 42: Outside Is Overrated

42. Outside Is Overrated

When I got home, I just sat on my bed and did homework for what seemed like hours. I heard feet stomping hurriedly on the stairs outside, and I looked up when my door opened and Jean barged in.

"What did you do?" she asked.

"What did I do?"

"You post on social media now?" she asked.

Oh," I said. "That. On a scale of one to ten how mad is mom right now?"

Jean chuckled. "Oh she's-"

"MORGAN NICOLE HALL!"

"She's coming up here, good luck sis," Jean said and then stopped. "On second thought, I want to see this."

I rolled my eyes.

"Morgan!" my mom yelled again when she got to my room.

"Anything I can help you with...mother?" I asked bitterly.

"What in the world drove you to pull a stunt like this?"

"Take a wild guess mom," I told her. "Me and Josh? Really? Do you know how disrespectful it is to me and the boyfriend that I already have?"

"It just slipped out," she said. "I merely embellished."

"For what?!" I exclaimed in annoyance.

"Don't raise your voice at me young lady," she warned.

"Don't do that," I told her. "Don't start acting like a mom all of a sudden. You don't listen to me, and you think you can control my life, but not anymore. That's not how it works."

She held her forehead and sighed. "I'll talk to my PR agent. You'll retract your statements an-"

"What part of that's not how it works don't you understand?" I said sharply. "I'm not dating Josh, I'm not scared of you, and I most definitely not taking back all of what I said. It's the truth, get used to it."

This is how I die isn't it?

She chuckled sourly and shook her head. "When you regret this, come find me."

"I won't," I muttered.

She left and I groaned, falling back onto my bed.

Jean chuckled. "You, my dear, are one brave soul."

"I only posted it a couple of hours ago," I said. "I didn't even think she'd find out this soon."

"Uh...you might want to check your phone."

I picked up my phone and took it off silent mode, and my eyes widened at the notifications. I opened my Instagram page and saw that I had almost ten thousand followers.

The hell? I made this like three hours ago.

"H...how is...wow," I remarked incoherently.

She got up and laughed. "Like it or not Morgan, you're famous."

I didn't say anything as she left. I just sat there silently freaking out.

What did I just do?

~~~~~

By the next morning, I had a hundred thousand followers if not more. Honestly, it made me nervous. Very nervous.

You did it to yourself Morgan, you put yourself out there. Deal with it.

"You are blowing up," Sienna remarked. "This is gold."

"Did I take it too far?" I asked. "Shit, maybe I shouldn't have done that."