Chapter 17

Chapter 17

William's POV

I refused to let go of her body. I didn't want to be separated from my mate by 6 feet of dirt and a coffin. So I held on tight.

People looked at me sympathetically as they passed. Some pack members had gone through this pain before, so they knew what I was going through. Life must hate me. I first pushed my mate away and then, when I found her, she didn't want anything to do with me. Finally, when she started to warm up to me, she was taken and killed.

I continued to sob and plead to the moon goddess. Don't let her die. She was - no is - my everything. Life is meaningless without her. I cried out to our mother. Does she enjoy the pain I go through? Is this my punishment for rejecting the person who is my other half? Was our mother cruel enough to kill off one of the strongest leaders in our existence? To kill her only successor? No. She couldn't be. Our mother was kind. She must have a reason for this, unless it really was to punish me for my past actions. Maybe Alice is already leading and the mood goddess wanted me to feel pain by her leaving right in front of me without a single word.

I've heard many stories of our mother. She punishes those who had dirtied the term 'werewolf'. But I didn't believe those stories then. I had always defended her. But now I question her. Did she really punish us? Was our mother punishing us for all our wrongdoings by killing our mates?

Feeling the cold body in my arms move, my eyes snapped open. There was Star and Andrew, attempting to remove her from my arms. I growled softly. The two have me a sad look. This was their leader. I doubt they wanted to put her in a coffin either. So I loosened my hold on the body and allowed Star and Andrew to take it.

"We'll put her in her room for now. You may go see her later."

In case you were wondering, no. Our dead bodies do not start to rot and smell. After a certain number of days, if the body isn't preserved and put into a coffin, the body will disintegrate into silver that is then stored into a bottle. Why silver you ask. Well, silver harms us, as you know. But that is because our fellow werewolves turned to silver. When the first werewolf was cut with a silver knife, the bleeding cut only stayed for about three hours. After, he laughed at the man and tore him apart. But later, when that werewolf died, he turned to silver. At first, the surrounding werewolves didn't know what to do. So they stored the silver in a bottle and hid it away. Somehow, their town was raided and the silver dust was stolen. We have no positive evidence, but we believe the silver was used to create the blade "Snow Prince". Even being in the presence of this blade severely depletes our energy. This blade was eventually given as a sacrifice to the moon goddess to prevent anyone from getting it. But since that blade was made, silver has been our weakness.

I stayed slumped on the ground. I had no will to move. My whole life was basically gone. My mate was gone. You could stab me with the cursed blade and I wouldn't even move.

In two days, the body would turn into dust, that much I know. But I didn't want that to happen. This was my mate we were talking about. She couldn't be reduced to silver particles in mere seconds. She was too powerful. Her wolf wouldn't allow it. Our mother wouldn't allow it. I wouldn't allow it.

I was slowly working up the energy to stand when I heard an ear-piercing scream emit from the pack house. All around me, wolves sprinted for the main building. I joined too, for I was the remaining alpha as of now.

At the center of the commons room, Star and Andrew laid on the floor, paralyzed from fear. Confused, I turned my head to where their scared eyes were pointed. When I saw what was there, I was on the verge of crying out in fear. The body of my dead mate was floating in the air. A red glow surrounded her and a cloaked figure stood over her. The figure was pitch black. Not a single color showed. It seemed at first to do nothing, but then a cold wind blew through the house and the thing inhaled. When it began to gather air, a silver substance began to be pulled from Alice. It floated around the black figure before it was absorbed. Staying in the presence of the figure was hard. There was a force that prevented me from moving. I had to stand and watch as my mate was what I would consider attacked by this unknown creature.

Minutes after the figure had begun whatever it was doing, a light flooded the room and the figure, seeming satisfied, dispersed into dust. Silver dust to be exact. The red glow around Alice faded and she stopped floating. Acting on instinct, I lunged forwards and caught Alice as she fell. Examining her, I was in disbelief.

I am not afraid to say that I wanted to bow at the feet of that mysterious creature. I owed it. I would never be able to thank it enough. And the reason is Alice. When I caught her, I saw her chest moving up and down, signaling breathing. And I also felt a pulse.

Alice was alive.