ahead

| ahead |

Ian and I were walking along Chase's pack's little boutiques where we stopped for ice cream. After the shocking meeting with Cassian, we decided to let Cassian and Maddie have their moment first.

The turn of events still baffled me, but I was happy for Maddie.

She is such a precious angel who deserves all. Through the snippets of dreams that I had of her life, I could understand that she's been through a lot, but I acknowledged that I could never fully understand the pains of living as a rogue.

"What's on your mind?" Ian asks as he lifts his hand and wiped the side of my lip where I probably had smudged ice cream.

I reacted quickly and wiped it too, feeling embarrassed and making him chuckle.

"D-don't laugh!" I pout and grabbed a tissue, but Ian continued laughing.

"Such a messy eater." he says and shakes his head.

"No, it's because the ice cream is good!" I tried to defend myself and furiously wipe the cluttered ice cream over my face which shouldn't have been there anymore.

After I finished a cup, I got another one.

These days, I've been eating more than usual, which makes sense because I was feeding two people now.

Ian was content with just one, so he decided to just sit and watch me eat.

"Alec would like the strawberry one." I say, remembering Alec who was probably crying with his workload right now.

"Excuse me? Are you thinking about someone else while I'm here?" Ian says. I tried to detect amusement in his voice to see if he was joking or not. Finding none, I slowly raise my eyes up to meet his.

He holds the look for a few seconds before erupting to laughter.

Wow, was that supposed to be a joke?

"Your jokes come off as a threat." I say which makes him laugh even more.

At the sound of that, I smiled too.

I liked hearing him laugh.

These days, finding him smiling or laughing wasn't so rare anymore. It came off naturally now and that made me really happy.

He wasn't like that before, he was a hungered power-craving beast and he would stop at nothing just to get more of that. He was so stoic, looking at Archer sometimes reminds me of the way Ian used to be before and I honestly don't know how I was able to handle it.

Well... I barely did.

And to be honest, there were many times when I gave up because the obstacle was too hard, his heart was too cold and hard and I was tired too.

But in our own ways, we didn't give up at the thought of making things work and I think that's what I'm thankful for the most.

"So... let's think of a name." I start.

Ian looks confused for a moment then he smiles in excitement.

"Ian Junior."

"No." I reject flatly.

There is no way I was going to have a junior.

"Why not? It's a good name!" he whines and sits up properly.

"Absolutely not, Ian. How about Jay?"

"No, it sounds old and hateful."

How does Jay even sound hateful?