𝟬𝟰. breakeven

AIR | CHAPTER FOUR

     𝐈t seemed like Cloud had earned the Avatar's trust from the previous actions she made

     𝐈t seemed like Cloud had earned the Avatar's trust from the previous actions she made. It made her quite surprised since not a lot of people would put their trust in the mischievous airbender. Also, Korra was upset with Tenzin for different reasons other than the fact that she couldn't airbend. She couldn't even summon a gust of wind, but Cloud knew it would take time and patience. A lot of it. Patience mostly.

    After Korra woke her up to tell her that she wanted to leave the island and check the arena again, Cloud simply replied with a small nod before plopping back down on her bed face-down. She couldn't be bothered to get out of her bed, the pillows were too comfortable. 

     Not even a few hours after she left, someone entered her cave and ruined her sleep. But the irritation immediately faded from her face when she realized it was only Meelo and Ikki. The siblings jumped around her bed, calling out her name repeatedly.

     "I'm up! I'm up!" Cloud exclaimed between breaths from getting mushed by the two children after they jumped on her.

    Each of them grabbed her hands and hauled her up the bed. It didn't even surprise her that the two children could do that since they were airbenders. Very hyperactive and stubborn airbenders. Much like herself. A frustrated-looking Tenzin and a calm Jinora who has her nose up in her book caught her eyes, the father-daughter sat around the table without a word.

     Well, not until his two chaotic children and the influencer cousin came around.

    Cloud could almost hear her stomach growling at the sight of the colorful and delicious food on the table. She grinned at her uncle before sitting down on a space around the table, brushing her hands together while staring at the greens with delight. Pema came back with another plate of food and set it down on the table. She glanced around, furrowing her brows when she tried to find a certain girl with Water Tribe clothing and found no one.

     "Wait," The pregnant woman asked, worry etched across her face." Where's Korra?" 

     "Honestly, Pema, I am at my wit's end with that girl!" Tenzin sighed and placed a hand over his face from the built-up frustration inside him. Then he became dejected as he closed his eyes, slanting his head. "I... I don't know how to get through to her!"  

     His wife kneeled beside him and placed a hand on his shoulder. He opened his eyes at her touch and looked at her. "Dear, the best thing you can do right now is to give Korra some space."

     Tenzin's eyes widened as he looked at Jinora and Ikki, a desperate and pleading look on his face. "You must promise me that your teenage years won't be like this!"

     Cloud tried to hide her amusement but she failed to hide it once she noticed the children's expressions. Ikki looked uninterested and Jinora looked bored as she lowered her book slightly and glanced at her father. 

     "I will make no such promises," Jinora said emotionlessly, earning a quiet snicker from her only cousin.

     After dinner, Tenzin stopped her before she could return to her room and asked her about Korra's whereabouts. Cloud didn't answer but the look on her face was enough for him to know that the teenage Avatar was up to no good. He didn't assume worse, but when he decided to make her tag along to help him find the girl. His face almost went red from how furious he was when he heard a familiar Avatar on the radio being mentioned as one of the players in the pro-bending match.

     "I'll get her myself!" Tenzin said angrily, turning around as a gust of wind swirled some leaves around. Cloud grimaced but decided to follow after her furious uncle. She couldn't leave him. Definitely not now.

    Entering the arena, she trailed behind Tenzin, whistling some random tune under her breath, her hands stashed inside her pockets. Once he found Korra━who was wearing those pro-bender outfits that Bolin and Mako wear━she stopped by the side and leaned against the wall, tapping her foot while glancing around the packed arena. No one seemed to notice them since they were too focused on the match.

    "She'll come around." Cloud patted her uncle's arm as he walked past her.

    He even stopped for a second and looked back at the match to see Korra, but she wasn't doing quite well. Then all of sudden, the Avatar's face full of anger changed into a focused determination, and she took on a familiar airbender stance before dodging the opposing players' attacks in the method she was taught to pass the fan obstacles in her airbending training. Slowly, a grin started to appear on the short-haired brunette's face, and from the look on Tenzin's face, he seemed surprised and proud.

    Tenzin was dumbfounded. "How about that?"

     "Told you." Cloud grinned, nudging his side, making him grunt slightly in response.

     The last thing she knew, the Fire Ferrets had won the match, and the crowd erupted into fits of cheers. Cloud punched the air in victory, even Tenzin let out a shout of delight before composing himself. Bolin and Mako were still good, but Korra had gotten better, and she used airbending stances, which was amazing since she actually learned. She didn't even wonder since Tenzin's a pretty good teacher when he's not in a sour mood, and that says a lot since he's always in a sour mood.