𝟬𝟰. tears for fears

SPIRITS | CHAPTER FOUR

     𝐀fter seeing the airbender fall asleep earlier for a split second, her friends made her ride on Naga instead of flying with her glider

     𝐀fter seeing the airbender fall asleep earlier for a split second, her friends made her ride on Naga instead of flying with her glider. The air was so cold that every time she flew, she would sniff and shiver even though she was practically using her airbending to warm up. Besides, the polar bear dog was way warmer than flying in the air. She couldn't possibly pass up that opportunity. 

     She sat behind Mako with Korra on the front. Unlike other people, she didn't really feel like a third wheel since she was too busy dozing in and out of sleep. Mako even had to check on her twice because she almost fell off the back. He had to flick her forehead to wake her up when the small group of travelers stopped in the middle of somewhere. 

     Cloud accidentally whacked him across his face when she flailed her arms around, causing her to slip off Naga and onto the white snow. Mako scrunched his nose, reaching down to grab the back of her shirt to help her stand but she ended up falling face down on the snow again.

     He shook his head as he looked down at her. Cloud shot him a glare, and he walked off to check their destination. Frowning, she grumbled something mean under her breath as she mustered a soft wind to push her upwards. She leaned on the polar bear dog, inhaling a deep breath. All she wanted to do was snuggle on her fur. Naga was so warm compared to everything around her.

     "I think we're here," Mako informed the rest of the group. Tonraq and Korra approached the edge of the cliff where he stopped at, gazing at the Everstorm as it raged in the distance.

     The team pushed through the Everstorm, their hoods were up to protect their faces against the icy wind. Cloud held the side of her makeshift hood from her orange shawl while clutching her precious glider in her left hand. Afraid that it would slip away from her grasp and get buried under the snow. There was a fearsome roar that echoed over the strong winds before another one, that was much louder, followed.

     "Is that what I think it is?" Bolin asked fearfully.

     Unalaq looked up as the angry spirits continued to roar. "We must keep moving."

     "Oh man, I really don't like this," The earthbender said, clutching his head.

     "Bolin, just stay calm, there's no reason to━" Mako was interrupted when a dark spirit emerged from beneath the camel yak and grabbed the supplies. "Panic!"

     Cloud quickly removed her hand from her hood and became alarmed as she cautiously glanced around, holding her staff with both hands. Another dark spirit emerged from beneath Naga and landed on her face as it grabbed the supplies from the polar bear dog. The airbender was surprised when another one of them emerged from the ground right in front of her.

     She tried to contain her terror and abruptly slammed her staff down on top of its head, forgetting she had airbending for a second. The dark spirit stumbled a little as it became quite disoriented. The airbender stepped back, staring at the average size spirit with wide eyes when it started glitching all of sudden like some kind of television.

     "I think I made it mad! Ah!" Cloud shrieked as the dark spirit launched towards her, although before it could tackle her, she crossed her arms and airbends herself an air shield, causing the creature to be blown away.

     She looked behind her and saw another dark spirit enter Bolin's snowmobile. The engine exploded with gray smoke as the spirit exited, and the vehicle started losing control as it sped into the tundra with the twins and Bolin. Terrified screams erupted from his mouth but Desna and Eska were nonchalant, showing no reaction at all as if it was no big deal as they drifted down the depths.

     "Oh, great. There goes our equipment," Mako sighed frustratedly. "Now what are we supposed to do?" 

     "There's only one thing to do. We have to turn back."

     "No! The solstice is tonight. And we're so close."

     "This mission is too dangerous. We're leaving."

     "No, Dad, you're leaving."

     After settling about who was staying and who was not━Mako and Cloud walked side to side toward the dejected father as he stood next to his snowmobile. She sent a tight-lipped smile at the man, the man becoming a bit more relieved to know that the airbender was going to be there for his daughter. She nudged the firebender next to her to make him start speaking to Korra's father. 

     "Don't worry sir, we'll keep an eye on Korra for you," Mako told him.

     Tonraq shook hands with the two in front of him. "Thank you, Mako. Cloudy."

     Not even a moment later, Cloud saw something rather beautiful but noxious. She dropped on the snow as she clipped her glider shut. There were a number of trees, with their trunks covered in frozen ice. For simple curiosity, she was tempted to go over it and touch the ice-encased-trees that lost their leaves since they couldn't possibly grow inside the ice.

     "We've arrived," Unalaq announced.

     Korra turned to him. "So, what do I do?"

     "You must find your way to the heart of the forest where the dormant spirit portal lies," Unalaq told her. "From here, you're on your own."

     Cloud was about to protest but Mako had beaten her to it, even Bolin agreed that she shouldn't go alone. The three cared for the girl a little too much to leave her alone. Besides there was something suspicious about Unalaq and his little schemes. Sure, the man has his way with words, but that also means he can easily manipulate someone. And Cloud was not gonna be that someone. Unless she decides to play into his game and flip it the other way around.

     She watched with narrowed eyes, leaning against Naga as Korra trudged deeper into the frozen forest. She constantly throws pieces of nuts at Pabu who keeps catching it with his mouth. Not even a few minutes later, a green beam of light rose and emerged from the portal, causing the southern lights to appear in the sky while the Everstorm dissipated. She was lost for words at the beautiful lights that danced across the night sky, but something worse was brewing in the midst.