𝟬𝟱. in bloom

AIR | CHAPTER FIVE

     𝐂loud floated on top of an air scooter that she conjured

     𝐂loud floated on top of an air scooter that she conjured. She wasn't moving while she watched her little cousins and Korra practice with the airbending gates. She constantly sipped on the sweet vegetable smoothie that Pema made her━one of the reasons she adores the pregnant woman. She was like the mother she never had, which is nice. Pema treats her like she's her own daughter even though she can be quite reckless sometimes.

     She wasn't even listening. Just observing in peace even though the air scooter she was on was nowhere near the word peace. She was quite impressed when Korra spun out on the other side without being touched once by the gates, landing in front of Jinora and Ikki. Korra placed her hands on her knees to catch her breath. The two sisters smiled at her before suddenly leaning a bit to their left to look behind the two older girls.

    "Ooh, he's cute," Jinora said, smiling from ear to ear. "Korra, is that the handsome firebender boy that drives you crazy?"

    At the mention of a handsome firebender, Cloud followed their gaze and found herself face to face with a certain member of the Fire Ferrets. She almost dropped her smoothie when she momentarily lost control of her air scooter Mako furrowed his perfectly arched eyebrows at her, but she was too busy composing herself to notice, and with an annoyed sigh, she smoothly stood up as her air scooter vanished.

     The former Captain was about to ask him what he was doing there, but Korra suddenly stumbled next to her, looking nervous for some reason. Then she awkwardly said, "Ahem. Oh. Hey. Mako."

     Cloud looked behind her and found the two sisters giggling for whatever reason. She forgot what was their banter about when Mako appeared out of nowhere. 

     "You seen Bolin?" His questions were short and direct.

     "Nice to see you, too," Korra said, sarcasm laced in her tone. "And no. I haven't seen him since practice. Think something's wrong?"

    "I don't know." Mako shook his head. "Bolin has a knack for getting into stupid situations." Cloud pursed her lips as he glanced at her, then at the Avatar. "See you later."

    Korra glanced at her and then back at Mako as the firebender turned around to leave, she almost seemed like she didn't want him to leave. The older girl shrugged, she didn't need words to know that the Water Tribe girl didn't want to leave him alone to find his little brother, besides, Cloud felt the same. Bolin's like her little brother too, no matter how much she denies it, he's got a soft spot in her crazy heart.

     "Mako," Korra called out. The firebender stopped and turned back to them. "We could help you look for him."

     Mako raised his hand, brushing them off. "Nah. I got it."

     Cloud turned to Korra, shrugging her shoulders, but the younger girl was persistent as she gently latched her hand on his arm to keep him from leaving. 

     "Hey, cool guy, let us help you." She said, before adding happily, "We can take Naga."

     "Who's Naga?" He asked, becoming intrigued.

     The dark-haired bender proudly pointed at herself. "My best friend. And a great tracker."

     "And I'll take my glider." Cloud grinned, turning her back on them so she could get her precious orange glider.

     Arriving at the city, she flew just above Korra and Mako as they rode Naga, the white polar bear dog. As much as she loved the creature, she wanted to fly around and feel the cold wind on her face. The wind makes her feel alive. She saw the statue of Fire Lord Zuko holding up a flame. It made her reminisce about her times within the United Forces and with a certain General. Memories are great until you start missing the person who was with you in those memories.

    Several citizens were chatting and hanging around the square, kids were playing with each other with grins on their faces. It was the busiest she'd ever seen. The island was never this wild, but she liked it better that way. Cloud whistled an old tune under her breath as she zoomed down, landing on the concrete swiftly before closing her glider, and gripping it in her hand. Mako was chatting with a kid she wasn't familiar with. She could see him begrudgingly handing him a few of his money. An exchange for an answer.

     "Shady Shin showed up and flashed some serious cash," The kid told him, and a worried look flashed upon Mako and Cloud's face. "Bo took off with him in his hot rod. The Triple Threats? The Red Monsoons? The Agni Kais? All the triads are muscling up for something real big. Now that's all you're getting outta me!"

     The kid promptly turned around and ran off while his little friends chased after him. Cloud clenched her jaw at the mention of the group of criminals. She simply sees them as sick pathetic groups of benders who don't know how to use their ability for something good.

     "What's he talking about?" Korra asked.

     "Sounds like there's a turf war brewing," Mako said, glancing over his shoulder to look at the Avatar.

     "And Bo's about to get caught right in the middle of it," Cloud muttered, not knowing they were about to get tangled into big trouble no one ever expected.