𝟭𝟰. crazy families

SPIRITS | CHAPTER FOURTEEN

     𝐂loud was staring off into space when a certain firebender woke up from his deep slumber, and let me tell you, he looked pretty pissed off when he noticed the scratch on her face

     𝐂loud was staring off into space when a certain firebender woke up from his deep slumber, and let me tell you, he looked pretty pissed off when he noticed the scratch on her face. His eyes darkened, still searching for any signs of harm to her. He couldn't help it. It was like instinct or whatever. They might look like they don't get along very well but truthfully, they were the only ones who really understood each other.

     The first five words that escaped from his mouth were, "Who did that to you?"

     The airbender blinked for a second and looked at Mako. "Huh?"

     "That, on your cheek." Mako furrowed his brows, nodding at the direction of the small wound on her face.

     "Oh, one of their icicles grazed me." Cloud shrugged, and then suddenly a grin appeared on her face. "Ask me what happened to them."

     Mako narrowed his golden eyes, and if someone looked close enough, it was almost as if there were literal sparks of fire dancing around his irises. He hesitated. For some reason, Cloud looked awfully nice today. She looked happy despite their current situation. It was a good look on her.

     "What? " He asked, waiting for an over-exaggerated explanation of what happened.

     "I knocked him out," Cloud grinned, and that earned a surprised look from the boy. Not because of the fact she knocked someone out since that's not surprising at all, but because she said it so simply. "Look!"

     There was a never-ending grin on her lips as she showed him her bruised knuckles, confirming that she indeed punched someone. Probably hard enough to knock them out. That wouldn't surprise him. Cloud was strong. Probably stronger than him if she doesn't hold back so much. Air Nomad and all.

     Mako could only shake his head at her, but truthfully, he was proud on the inside. He was never really good at showing feelings. Not even a few seconds had passed, he already stole another glance at her, only to see her studying her bare hands with a proud smile on her face. His chest bubbled with something unfamiliar yet comfortable.

    For the second time, he subtly shook his head, but this time with a small unnoticeable smile playing upon his lips. She was really something else.

     Unalaq entered the tent with that smug face of his. "Congratulations, everyone. You've all got front row seats for the beginning of a new world order."

     The female airbender scowled at him as Korra said, "You don't know what you're doing Unalaq. Freeing Vaatu won't make you powerful, it will only make you a traitor to everything good that's happened over the last ten thousand years."

     Cloud didn't even bother to hear the rest of Unalaq's excuses for a new world order and blanked out until he left the tent. He was nothing but a no-good person. She just hoped his troubles would bite him back one day, or maybe today. That'd be better.

     "I failed in every way," Tenzin sighed with disappointment, mostly aimed at himself. "We've lost Jinora forever."

     Kya frowned slightly. "There's still a chance. They didn't get Bumi."

     "We just gotta have more faith in him." Cloud sent a reassuring smile at her uncle and everyone else in the room, at least trying to light up the spirit around them. (That was not a pun, by the way). "Dad will save us." 

     Korra also tried to convince her cousins to turn against their father but the twins were persistent and they believed that whatever Unalaq's planning━it was the right thing. Flash news: it was not.

     All of a sudden, the tent was suddenly destroyed. Quite literally as there was no roof anymore. Even Eska and Desna were knocked over. When her pale blue eyes landed on a random mecha tank going berserk around the compound, a grin appeared on her face. As it was thrown to their side, a certain somebody propelled out of it and slipped inside the tent where they were captured.

     "All right guys, rescue time," Bumi beamed.

     "I knew you'd come." The daughter smiled brightly. He always knew how to make an entrance. 

     Eska and Desna stood back up and glared at the retired commander, but Pabu and Naga suddenly came bursting into the tent, knocking out the surprised twins in the process for the second time. She couldn't blame them, the others were surprised too, although she was more delighted than surprised. She never once doubted her father or his crazy little ideas.

     The tower that the mecha tank accidentally wrapped its grapple hook around finally fell after being pulled around by the uncontrollable robotic tank.

     Mako removed the rope around her wrist, and she sent him a small smile and a quiet thank you before scrambling to her feet to find her missing glider. Glancing around the open tent, she let out a deep sigh of relief at the sight of her precious orange glider stashed in the corner. She was glad it wasn't broken because if it was, she would've balled her eyes out. That's how much she loved that thing. She could almost call it her best friend.

     "Bumi, how did you manage to take out this entire encampment on your own?" Tenzin asked with a surprised tone.

     "I did it all with my trusty flute and... ah, never mind, you wouldn't believe it anyway. Let's get moving." Bumi marched off, the others following close behind. 

     Cloud had a small frown on her face when he didn't continue his story. It was his favorite thing to do, and she loved listening to every bit of his peculiar adventures. No matter how unreal they get sometimes, that's what makes it the best. The fun twists and the crazy overpowered villains which the heroine somehow always beats. She made sure to catch up to her dad and ask him all about it.