Chapter 27

I woke to the smell of burnt toast. It filled my nostrils like a burn.
'Hey, get up.' I pride my eyes open. Taylor was sitting in the bed with two plates of toast.
It was practically black, she had smothered them in butter to hide the evidence.

'Hey.' Yawned. 'Morning!' He smiled. She seemed extra chipper this morning. It was suspicious.
'I made breakfast.' She coaxed. I looked down at the plate of burnt toast.
'Okay, I attempted to make breakfast.' I grabbed a plate and pulled apart pieces of bread eating as much as I could.
I could feel the blackness in my teeth.
Taylor sat and watched me struggle to eat her food.
'Actually never mind.' She said taking the plate from me. 'Thanks anyway.' I mentioned.

'So, What did you and Julian do last night?' She asked. I sat for a moment in silence. 'Just watched a movie.' I shared. 'Ate some Chinese food.'
'Ohhhh, you guys leave any?' I nodded. 'Julian put the leftovers in the fridge.'

Taylor bounced off the bed. Grabbing the plate and walking off upstairs.
I followed her up, the house was still empty.
'Where is everyone?' I asked. Taylor shrugged.
'Doing stuff I guess. They'll be back later.' She said.

She was already emptying all the leftover Chinese food onto plates, one at a time she shoved them into the microwave.

'So, yesterday I brought the cutest dress. It's green, it's strapless.' She pulled her phone out of her pocket and showed it to me in her photos. Too lazy to bring it from upstairs.
It was beautiful though, it looked even better on her.
The dress matched her flawless curves.
The microwave beeped and she pulled out plate after plate.

The food still tasted fresh, the honey from the chicken giving me such a great sensation in my mouth.

'This is soo good.' Taylor cheered as she shoved shrimp rice into her mouth.
I twirled the pasta around my fork, it had been mixed in with the other types of food. Giving it such a great different taste. Why I had not eaten Chinese food for so long? It was so good.

An engine roared and died from outside. Then the front door open and in walked all the boys.
The twins first, rolling their eyes once again upon seeing my face.
'Thank god you have food, I'm starving.' Gabriel said.
He took my plate from in front of me and started shoving food in his mouth, Taylor was almost done.
'All good, wasn't gonna eat that.' I smile to Gabriel as he lounges back in a chair. The plate on his lap.

'Well that went poorly.' Kaden mentioned, grabbing a beer from the fridge.
'Hey.' Julian called, he kissed my lips sweetly.

'Ew gross.' Taylor said. 'I'm eating here.'

'Yeah well, it's not like that was gonna lead anywhere! He's just getting us riled up.' Ezra notes grabbing more beers from the fridge.
'You guys all good?' I asked.

'None of your business.' Ezekiel spoke. I was getting sick of this attitude from them. By now they'd think I was sticking around.
'Then don't talk about it here.' Julian spat back.
'Come on.' Julian pulled me downstairs.
His room was dark with the curtains shut but neither of us touched them.
As he shut his door and fell back into his bed.
'Are you okay?' I asked him.

He groaned. 'Yeah! We just met with some prick, haven't seen him for years. His come back here like nothing changed. Telling us how things are gonna go with our partnership. I wanna best his face in.' Julian swore.
'But you didn't right?' I asked.
He looked up at me and smiled. Grabbing my hand and pulling me onto him. I lay across his chest, his heartbeat steady under my palm.

'I....' his eyes were looking right into mine. I was curious as to what he was going to say. I braved for it. Eager to listen, was he going to say I love you. A smile brushed over my cheeks.  His pause made me question it, I sat up, unsure as to where this was now going.

'Yeah?' I asked. He looked right into my eyes, like he was looking into my soul.
'I think you're amazing.' He kissed my neck.
It wasn't what I was hoping to hear, it seemed like the biggest insult.
'Thanks.' I smiled back. 'You're great too.' I replied.
I felt so sad now, that had been a let down.
Julian and I had been together for ages now and still he hadn't said it. Should I say it?
What if he rejects it? What if he laughs?
What if we break up?

He could see my mind racing.

'You okay?' He asked. I nodded and stood off the bed.
'Yeah, look I should probably be getting home. I need a shower, plus I have school tomorrow and there is so much homework to do.' He nodded and sat upright.
'Need a ride?' I shook my head.

'My cars here. Text you later?' He nodded. I quickly got changed and grabbed my things.
I gave him a quick kiss and left.

As I pulled into my driveway I could see a blue car outside Mrs. Tracy's home. She never had visitors. She had no kid and her husband died in war. She had always said she refused to marry or even date again. Her heart only belonged to one.
It was so sweet, it would be so lonely though. I couldn't imagine losing a love one that way. To spend the rest of eternity without them.
But I guess I was like that. I would never get to see Hannah again.
It pained me, made my heart ache like knives on fire. If that was even a way to describe it, it was the only way. Still it could never compare to how Milly was feeling, she almost lost the love of her life.
She also lost her children, she would never see them again.
I never wanted to imagine a pain like that.

I got my keys and unlocked the front door, the metal jiggering in my hands.

'Hello, do you live here?' Someone behind me asked. A tall man wearing a suit stood behind me.
My heart panicked.
'Sorry I don't wanna buy anything.' I spoke. If he was even selling anything.
'I'm not selling anything.' There was my answer.
'Okay well...'
'Zoie? Zoie Carter?' My heart was panicking now. I kinda wished Julian had driven me home.

With shaky hands I turned around, expecting the man to have a gun or something.

His face was freshly shaven, his eyes sunken and brown. His hair dark blonde and his skin light. He look exhausted, he looked like....

'Dad?!' I choked out. The keys from my hands dropped onto the ground. I couldn't breath, okay I can die now. I have truely seen everything.

————————————————————————
Hey everyone, what? Zoie's dad is out of prison? Who is excited for this? Do you think they should reconnect?
Please rate and comment if you are excited to see how this story is going.

Thanks,
D.