Chapter 15

Second Chance

Only a select few knew of the existence of the hidden settlement in the forest. It had begun life as a smallholding, many years before, built by a woodcutter for his family. It was situated deep in Sherwood Forest, to the west of the village Clun, sheltered by a huge rock face and surrounded by thick, impenetrable hawthorn and privet bushes.
As the forest law was stringent in Nottinghamshire, the dwelling had been kept hidden, and, upon the woodcutters death ten years previously, the area had remained empty until it was discovered by outlaws - Little John's gang, prior to Robin's arrival.
Throughout the following ten years, the encampment had been gradually expanded upon, yet used sporadically. It was an ideal bolthole, with room to house around twenty people comfortably, although the amenities were basic. There was a running stream that worked as a well, and sparse room to grow vegetables and herbs; however, it remained undiscovered, and, under the iron fist of Vaisey, this was advantageous.
The meagre settlement, renamed Second Chance, would now be home to the men rescued from the castle's weaponry. The Sheriff's men would soon be out in force, with the surrounding villages searched and families terrorised until the men were recaptured. Luckily, Robin had thought ahead, and close family were informed of the rescue the day before. As a result, they were already being transferred from their homes to the forest dwelling. Soon, the settlement would be a bustle of activity as the new outlaws rejoined their kin.
The afternoon passed quickly, filled as it was with activity, and by the time evening fell, the small dwelling was full, and the gang of outlaws could finally relax.
"Time to go home," Little John insisted, and Robin nodded in agreement.
"Good job, lads," he said to them all, including Djaq and Roana, who exchanged tired smiles.
Roana had never been so exhausted in her life. She could have dropped where she stood if her mind hadn't been so alive with the very newness of her situation. Physically, she was flagging, but her mind raced with questions. For a start, what would happen next? Was William looking for her? And, most importantly, she thought as she stifled a yawn, where would she sleep?
The journey back to the camp was subdued yet purposeful. The villagers had gifted Much with a brace of rabbits in gratitude for the gang's help, and they were eager to return home and eat.
Robin, Much, and Little John lead the small convoy with the horses. Their quiet conversation filtered back to the others in scraps, but they were too weary to join in. Will and Djaq walked side-by-side in companionable silence, and it seemed only natural for Roana to fall into step with Allan, bringing up the rear.
"Wishing you were back at the castle yet?" Allan asked with a grin to show he was joking.
Roana looked at him, deadpan. "Oh god, yes. I'm really missing William and his overbearing and utterly boring conversation," she retorted, surprising herself with the speed of her comeback. They exchanged a glance and both laughed.
"I'm not being funny but I never really understood what you saw in him," Allan commented, frankly. "I mean, the guy's an idiot!"
Roana sighed. "I never really SAW anything in him. I just got dragged into a situation that I had no control over, and, before I knew it, we were betrothed." She shrugged. "It wasn't something I particularly wanted."
Allan fell silent and they trudged on. The forest had, all of a sudden, come alive around them, with the wind rustling through the upper branches of the trees and the birds singing their final songs before nightfall. A magpie chattered nearby.
"So," Allan said, eventually. "Does that mean you aren't getting married then?"
Roana looked over at him, sensing a difference to his tone. His face was in shadows, but, when he glanced up and caught her eye, there was something in his gaze that she couldn't quite place. He seemed almost nervous, but that couldn't be right. It was Allan, after all. She couldn't imagine Allan having a nervous bone in his body.
She grinned. "Not if I can help it."
His responding smile lit up his face, eradicating any sign of uncertainty that may have existed before. Roana felt a twinge of appreciation deep inside. He really was an attractive man.
"Good," he said. "Come on, then. Last one to the camp gets to empty the privy."

******

Dusk had fallen by the time the gang reached the camp, and the shadows had drawn long and dark over the secret dwelling. Little John and Allan lead the horses to a nearby clearing where they would be settled for the night, while Djaq set about building a fire. Will and Much cleared a space to prepare the rabbits, and Robin tidied away the weaponry. They were like a well-oiled machine, working perfectly together and in unison.
Feeling like a spare part, Roana lingered on the periphery, wondering what to do to help. This was all completely new to her, and she felt a little out of place.
Sensing Roana's uncertainty, Djaq patted the ground beside her. "Roana, come. I will show you how to light a fire."
Gratefully, Roana went to join her, sitting gingerly on the dirt before realising she was covered in dust and mud anyway. She was beginning to realise that she was totally unprepared for life in the forest. For a start, she needed suitable attire that wasn't an inappropriate dress. She eyed Djaq's outfit; a tunic and trousers in the colours of the forest. This was exactly the kind of clothing she needed.
Noticing her scrutiny, Djaq spoke quickly and quietly to avoid drawing any attention. "Are you okay?"
"Oh, yes, of course." Roana was flustered and laughed, awkwardly. "Sorry, I was just thinking how out-of-place I look in this dress."
"You can take it off if you like," Allan commented as he and Little John reentered the camp. Roana blushed.
"Allan," Robin said, warningly, although he was unable to hide his amusement.
"What?" Allan said, innocently, and everybody laughed, including Roana.
"Ignore Allan," Djaq said to her, rolling her eyes. "He is all talk."
"I'm really not," Allan insisted, but he seemed content to be the butt of their joke. As the camp came to life with laughter and camaraderie, he caught Roana's eye and gave an apologetic smile. She shook her head and rolled her eyes, yet touched his arm to show there were no hard feelings.
"You okay, Roana?" Robin took her to the side a little later, ever vigilant to the happenings in his gang. "The lads can get a little boisterous at times."
"Its nothing I can't handle," she replied, lightly. "I'm happy to be here."
He nodded, satisfied. "Good. We have a lot to prepare for. I'm sure William will not give you up without a fight. Therefore, you will have to remain in the camp indefinitely, as we can't risk you being seen." He placed his hands on her shoulders and met her gaze to show his sincerity. "But, as part of my gang, you have our full protection for as long as you wish to be here."
"Thank you, brother," she replied, gratefully. "You have no idea how much I appreciate that. I intend to remain with you for as long as you will have me."