Chapter 39

Hidden Passions

Sir Edward was unwell, and Marian was tired of rushing back and to along the draughty corridors of Nottingham Castle with tinctures and potions that didn't seem to make any difference to his health. She longed for Knighton Hall, and the familiarity of home; a comfortable bed in a warm room for her father, and her own possessions surrounding her. Instead, thanks to Guy, her home was gone, and she was forced to spend her days in the castle, under guard as if she were a common criminal, while her beloved father deteriorated before her very eyes.
There were days when she just wanted to curl up in a corner and cry, when she would give anything to allow someone to take the burden of her worries off her shoulders, if only for a moment. But there was no one, and she had to stay strong for herself and her father. There was no other option. Life in the castle was fraught with pitfalls as it was, and protecting her father was top of her priorities. This meant she had to behave, and be seen to ally herself with Guy and the Sheriff. Therefore, she kept her head down and attempted to toe the line.
She missed Roana's presence. It had been nice, having a friend about the place, somebody who was on her side. Now that she and Allan had escaped, Marian felt very alone at times, and it wasn't the nicest of feelings. As a result, she had to cosy up to Gisborne so at least she had somebody on her side.
She sighed. She couldn't really complain. Robin had asked her to join him in the forest on numerous occasions, but she had always declined. She couldn't leave her father to the mercy of the Sheriff and his cronies. She adored her father, and felt duty bound to him. Although she loved Robin with all her heart, she had to stick by Edward. He had given her so much over the years, struggling as he did as single parent to a headstrong young girl, and this was her opportunity to repay him. She would be disappointed in herself if she let him down when he needed her the most.
But, as his condition worsened, she did feel that she was letting him down. There seemed no way to alleviate his cough, shortened breath, and deathly pallor. Marian needed a miracle to help him, yet she didn't know where to look.
"Is he any better, my lady?" Alice appeared by Marian's side like a wraith, and Marian started. Roana's former maid was often, these days, Marian's closest confidant, and the way she moved about the castle so silently was awe-inspiring. She was quiet, plain in appearance, and easily overlooked, yet, once engaged in conversation, became a different person; sharp, observant, and forthright. Marian liked that about her. She admired honesty and loyalty in others, even as she cloaked herself in deception. Alice was a good person to have by her side in these uncertain times.
"He's getting worse," she replied, putting a hand to her father's forehead. "He's burning up now."
Edward swatted her hand away, impatiently. "I'll be fine. Please stop fussing, Marian." He lapsed into a prolonged coughing fit, and Marian and Alice exchanged glances as Marian rushed to help him sit up.
Edward noticed the look. "I saw that," he said, once he could speak again. "I'm not an invalid, you know. I just can't seem to kick this damn cold."
"It's this place," Marian said, tartly. "No wonder you're not improving, in this horrible, draughty castle. I need to speak to Guy. This isn't acceptable!"
"You need to speak to Guy about what?" The man in question entered Edward's room, ducking his head to avoid the lintel.
Marian noticed with interest how Alice suddenly started and looked at him, quickly, catching his eye before she ducked her head and turned away. She seemed flustered, and so, intriguingly, did Gisborne. Marian smiled to herself and squirrelled the information away for later.
"My lord," she said, turning to meet Guy herself and inclining her head, respectfully. It couldn't hurt to show deferential treatment, especially when she was about to ask him for a favour.
"My father worsens, and I am worried," she continued. "Is there anything we can do to alleviate his suffering?"
"Please don't fuss, Marian." Edward waved away her concerns, weakly. "She worries too much," he said to Gisborne, before emitting a deep, wracking cough.
Marian looked at Guy in despair. "Please help me, Sir Guy. I cannot bear to see him suffer. The castle - the air is not good for him. He needs warmth and comfort."
"This is not comfort?" Gisborne indicated the pleasant furnishing in the room around them.
"Oh, of course! It is more than we could expect, my lord." Marian hated to grovel, but her fathers convalescence depended on it. "But the rest of the castle - it is too draughty and there are so many cold spots. There is no way of controlling and diminishing a cold in one so frail in these conditions."
Guy considered her for a moment before crossing to Edward, placing a hand on the old man's shoulder. "Sir Edward. I must apologise. I destroyed your home under orders from the Sheriff, and I cannot forgive myself for this. I have surely contributed to your ill health."
Both Marian and Edward regarded him in shock, while Alice kept her face averted, listening intently while she fussed about the room.
"Sir Guy," Edward began, awkwardly, but Guy interrupted, smoothly.
"As Marian said, the castle is no place for one so frail. I will arrange for you both to be taken to Locksley Manor, to stay indefinitely."
Marian was stunned. "But, Guy..."
He looked at her. "Marian, collect your things together and be ready within the hour. I will have a carriage ready and will send guards with you as I am unable to attend right now. There is no need for you to be in the castle anymore. Please make yourself at home at Locksley."
He bowed his head to them both before taking his leave, angling his head in Alice's direction as he left.

******

Allan had missed life in the forest. He had missed the relaxed atmosphere, and the way he could roll out of bed whenever he felt like it. He had missed the easy comradeship between the gang. He had missed Robin's competitiveness and Little John's snoring. He had even missed Much's incessant whining.
One thing he didn't miss, however, was the lack of privacy, and being back in the camp was doing nothing for his love life.
Rescuing the newly-single Roana from Nottingham Castle has been one of the greatest achievements of Allan's life; after all, she had chosen him, Allan A Dale, thief and liar and no-good crook, over Sir William la-di-dah of Bridlington, and that was an amazing feeling. But he and Roana hadn't had any time to themselves since arriving back in camp the day before, and Allan was feeling a little.. frustrated. He had envisioned being able to take her in his arms without worrying about anybody seeing and kissing her for so long that she forgot Bridlington ever existed, but it hadn't yet happened. He was annoyed at himself. It wasn't like him to be backward in coming forward, and things needed to change. He was intent on winning the girl.
Filled with renewed determination that morning, Allan sauntered into camp to find Will, John, Much, and Roana deep in conversation. He crossed to Roana's side, flashing her a grin. She smiled back.
"Much and I are going hunting. Would you like to join us?"
Sensing an opportunity, Allan looked at Much. "Tell you what, Much. I'll take Roana hunting. I know you have plenty of other things to do here."
Much raised his eyebrows, looking from Allan to Roana. "Oh. Well, I was just telling my lady about the new traps I've set, and.."
"We'll find them," Allan interrupted. "Not a problem. We'll be fine, just the two of us. Right, Ro?"
Will sniggered and turned it into a cough. Catching on, Roana spoke up, quickly, a smile in her voice. "Oh, of course. We'll be fine. Thanks, Much."
"Yes, let them go together, Much. I bet they have.. STUFF to discuss," Will said in barely suppressed glee. Little John, in on the joke, grinned, broadly at Allan.
Much stared at them both and then back at Allan and Roana as it slowly began to dawn on him. "Ah, I see. Right. Yes, of course. I'll just.. stay here then. You two go off.. together, to do.. your thing, and I'll stay here."
Roana blushed and lowered her head, smothering a laugh as she turned away to grab her bow and quiver. "Great. Come on then, Allan."
They left the camp and headed out towards Clun in companionable silence, concentrating on picking their way through the hawthorn and beech trees. The day had dawned grey and overcast, but the clouds were already beginning to clear and the sun was rising high and proud in a cerulean blue sky. There came the sound of a woodpecker in a nearby tree, and a magpie alighted from a branch high up, chattering as it flew.
Allan willed himself to strike up a conversation, but, now that they were alone, he seemed to have lost the ability to speak. This had never happened to him before, and it was an odd feeling. He wracked his brain for something to say that didn't sound forced.
"So, do you know where we're going?" Roana broke the silence, looking at him, queryingly.
Instantly, Allan relaxed, the tension leaving his body as if it had never been present. "Honest answer? No."
Roana laughed. "Then, maybe we should have brought Much after all," she said, archly.
"Oh, no, no. We couldn't do that," Allan replied, knowingly.
"And why would that be, A Dale?" Roana asked, her tone coquettish.
"Well," Allan pretended to think about it. "If we'd brought Much, then we wouldn't be able to do this."
He caught hold of her hand and, throwing his bow to the side, pulled her to him. Roana went willingly, winding her arms around his neck, and then they were kissing, and it was as if they had never not been kissing, and Allan threaded his fingers through her hair, cradling her head so he could attack her lips with hunger. Roana kissed him back with a passion that matched his, and this filled him with wonder and happiness. She moulded herself against him, standing on tiptoes to get nearer, and he wrapped an arm around her waist, picking her up and pushing her against the nearest oak tree, pressing himself against her.
Immersed in a desire of which she had never known, Roana's breath caught in her throat, and she clutched at him, disorientated.
Allan stopped and looked at her, his pupils dilated and his breath ragged. His voice was pained when he spoke. "Ro?"
"Sorry," she whispered with a wry grin, her chest heaving. "I think I got a bit carried away."
He laughed, huskily, and pressed his lips to her throat, kissing a trail of fire down her neck.
"I keep forgetting how innocent you are," he said between kisses that started an inferno burning within her. "I'm trying to be good, but it's so difficult. Especially when you kiss me like that."
She drew in a ragged breath of her own. "I'm sorry. I just.. I've never kissed anyone this way before!" She laughed, self-consciously.
He stopped kissing her neck to look into her eyes, smiling broadly. "You wouldn't believe how happy that makes me. And don't ever apologise. These past couple of days have been a nightmare. I had no idea how to get you alone. It was killing me!"
Roana felt an identical smile stretching wide across her face. "Well, let's not waste a moment then."