Chapter 29

Love, Actually

Life in the castle wasn't as bad as Allan had expected. True, there were people he would rather not have to deal with, but Allan had always found it easy to adapt to different situations in life, whether he wanted to or not. He was a survivor, and he could play whichever part was required of him - for a limited period of time.
The Sheriff wasn't completely enamoured with Allan's presence; not yet, anyway. A shrewd man who didn't trust easily, Vaisey watched him like a hawk when they were in the same vicinity, waiting to catch him out. However, funnily enough, Gisborne was Allan's staunchest supporter, which certainly helped him navigate the castle unharmed.
Guy of Gisborne was a funny one. Tall, dark, and imposing, he didn't have much of a sense of humour, but Allan sensed that he wanted desperately to be liked, even as he struggled to invite it. This worked well for Allan, who didn't particularly want to be outed and hung. He could tolerate pretending to like Guy until this was all over. In fact, strangely enough, Gisborne wasn't difficult to like, once you got past the intimidating leather outfit and the almost constant sneer.
Allan could have had it much worse. Feeding Guy random 'facts' over the past few weeks had certainly helped to gain Gisborne's trust, which in turn benefited Allan by making his time in the castle so much easier. This was a temporary arrangement, after all. He was only here for one reason, and that reason was Roana.
Allan's thoughts immediately shifted to Roana, as were their wont these days. He sighed. Moments spent thinking about her were becoming more and more frequent, he had to admit. Roana was on his mind much of the time, and it wasn't something he was used to. Admittedly, he had never lived like a monk, and had indulged in a number of casual dalliances throughout his life, moving on easily enough afterwards. But this was different.
As Robin's sister, Roana could never be a casual dalliance, and Allan knew with certainty that he wouldn't want her to be. Whereas women were usually seen as a means to an end, Allan liked Roana and he cared about what happened to her. It had been his idea to come to the castle as her protector. Watching her surrender to Bridlington and the Sheriff on her own that day had filled Allan with a combination of feelings: admiration for her courage, worry for her wellbeing, as well as a spark of something else which he had never experienced before. He wanted to protect her, and, after she had gone, he missed her too.
It was an unusual feeling, wanting to put someone else's wellbeing before your own. Allan had never really done that before. Yes, as outlaws, they robbed from the rich to give to the poor, but that was Robin's vision. Allan just went along with it because it was expected of him. He was one of Robin Hood's men, and that's what they did. It didn't come from a place inside like it did with Robin, with his deep and relentless urge to do what was right by the poor. Allan just did it because he was good at it, and it was what Robin wanted.
But protecting Roana DID come from an inexplicable urge inside. Seeing her with Bridlington was, at times, unbearable. The guy was an overblown idiot who stalked around as if he owned the place, and he seemed to take great delight in manhandling Roana whenever he cared to. It took all of Allan's willpower to stop himself from giving the Sheriff's cousin a good wallop. He hoped it would come to that, eventually. He would be quite happy to teach Bridlington a lesson he wouldn't forget.

                                           ******

They were to meet Robin in the back alley behind the Trip to Jerusalem Inn at noon, which was fast approaching. Gisborne was with the Sheriff, which gave Allan ample opportunity to collect Roana so they could slip out unnoticed.
It was busy in Nottingham, and the crowds helped to disguise their path through town, both wearing hooded cloaks to conceal their identities. Robin was waiting along with Much; the rest of the gang were busy dispensing coins to the needy around the town centre.
"My lady! How are you?" Much exclaimed, before enfolding her in a clumsy hug. Roana laughed, hugging him back.
"Hello, Much. I'm fine! And I've told you - it's Roana!"
He stepped back, bashfully. "We were worried about you."
"Thank you, but you really shouldn't have been. I have Allan to protect me now."
Allan looked him over, speculatively. "You're not gonna try hugging me too, are you?"
"Uhmmmm, no," Much replied, definitively.
Robin laughed, quietly. He wore a hooded jumper, pulled up to hide his face, but his blue eyes twinkled at Roana from within.
"Everything ok?" He spoke quietly to Allan.
"Going as planned so far," Allan replied. "Guy is putty in my hands and seems to believe everything I've told him."
Robin nodded, satisfied, then looked at Roana. "And Bridlington?"
Roana sighed. "Well, he believes Allan's story. And the wedding will go ahead a week on Saturday." She felt a well of despair inside, but met Robin's gaze, determinedly. This was bigger than her own silly fears and doubts, and she needed to remain strong for her brother and the other outlaws. Besides, Robin, as rightful heir of Locksley, would be most affected by what she said next. "He means to take Locksley and become Earl of Huntingdon with me by his side."
"What?!" Robin pushed away from the wall he leant against and began to pace, his expression one of anger. He shook his head. "I should have known that it would happen. The Sheriff is keeping him close. This must mean that he is part of the Sheriff and Prince John's plot to usurp King Richard."
"But he can't do this, master," Much declared in outrage. "Locksley is yours."
"Not any more," Robin said, darkly. "Not since the Sheriff outlawed me." He stopped and turned to Allan. "But what of Gisborne? Has he not taken Locksley Manor for his own?"
Allan nodded, and raised his eyebrows. "He won't be impressed. Marian plans to break the news."
Robin pulled a face at the mention of Marian and Guy and walked a few paces away, looking out of the alleyway towards the castle. When he turned back, his expression was pensive.
"We need to find out what they are planning, and soon." He looked at Allan. "Are you okay to remain in the castle indefinitely? Just until we have a better idea of what we are dealing with."
Allan glanced briefly in Roana's direction. "I'm staying put for as long as I'm needed."
Robin glanced at Roana too, thoughtfully. "What about you, sister?"
Roana raised her chin, resolutely. "You can count on me, Robin. But," she looked him in the eye. "For how long will I have to remain here? I need to know what will happen to me when all of this is done, because I draw the line at marrying that oaf. I won't do it. I can't do it."
"It won't come to that," Robin promised, earnestly. "Hopefully, we will know exactly what is going on by then, and we can get you both out. You are our eyes and ears on the inside, and that is all. There will be no wedding. And, if I can't stop it myself, I know Allan will."
Allan met her gaze unflinchingly, and gave a brief nod. "You can count on me."