Chapter 23

Back in Black

Sir Guy of Gisborne was not given to bouts of happiness. Infamous around Nottingham for his dour expression, evil smirk, and sense of humour bypass, nobody would ever accuse him of being an exuberant person. But, returning to the castle after Allan's revelation, he felt a glimmer of satisfaction that lifted his mood quite unexpectedly. He even managed to hum a little ditty under his breath as he strode along the echoing corridors to the Sheriff's chamber.
Sir William of Bridlington had been a pain in the proverbial neck ever since he had rocked up to Nottingham a week ago, with his future wife in tow. Not only was he a pompous, mollycoddled oaf, he was also the Sheriff's cousin and felt it was his God-given right to waltz around the place like he owned it. Taking his cue from Vaisey, he spoke down to Guy as if he were his superior, and Gisborne was growing a little tired of it.
As Master-at-Arms, Guy demanded respect from those around him, as someone in a position of importance and authority should rightfully expect. Admittedly, at times, the Sheriff's show of respect was severely lacking, but Gisborne had come to expect and accept Vaisey's temperamental attitude. He was his superior, after all.
But there was no way Guy was going to stand back and allow William to usurp his position as the Sheriff's right hand man, and treat him, Guy, like the hired help in the process.
Even when he was the hired help.
Gisborne was more than prepared to fight for his place by the Sheriff's side, and, if that meant helping Bridlington to pack his bags and return to Yorkshire with his tail between his legs, then so be it. And Guy's news might just mean he would do that.
Bursting into the Sheriff's chamber, Gisborne stopped short at the sight of Vaisey in the bath, his favourite kestrel perched on the edge of the tub. Before Guy had time to retreat, Vaisey spotted him.
"Ah, Gisborne." He stood, the water streaming down his short, sturdy body.
Guy shuddered inwardly, turning away. This had happened on one too many occasions; Guy really should remember to knock first. The Sheriff had absolutely no shame whatsoever and seemed to delight in embarrassing him.
"My lord, I will return when you are decent," Gisborne ground out, making swiftly for the door again, his retinas burning with the sight of the Sheriff's naked form.
"Don't be stupid, Gisborne. You're here now." Vaisey was flippant, stepping from the bath with flagrant confidence. His maid scuttled from the corner of the room where she had been waiting to help him dry off. Guy watched her from the corner of his eye but refused to glance in the Sheriff's direction until he was quite sure Vaisey was robed.
"Well, come on, Gisborne. Spit it out!" The Sheriff demanded after he had dismissed the maid, who shot a look at Guy as she scurried past.
Lady Roana's former servant, Guy noted, idly, watching her slink from the room. She had obviously been put to better use since Roana had been taken hostage, for Bridlington's betrothed would not be needing her any time soon, if at all.
Remembering his news, Guy felt his mouth curl into a grim smile as he turned to the Sheriff. Vaisey raised his eyebrows, sardonically.
"Oh dear. That bad?" He chuckled to himself, and Gisborne's smile vanished to be replaced by his habitual scowl.
"I have news, my Lord. About Lady Roana."
The Sheriff sat down and beckoned to the raptor, which flew from the bath edge to alight on his arm. He fed it a sliver of meat from the platter on the table, stroking the small, feathered head as the bird gulped down the food. Gisborne watched its curved beak and beady, black eyes, warily.
"Tell me you've found her, Gisborne. And if you haven't, why are you bothering me?"
Gisborne cleared his throat. "No, my Lord. Unfortunately, we did not find her. However, we discovered some interesting information about Lady Roana of Filey that adds a surprising twist to the story."
The Sheriff looked at him, steadily, a warning in his steely gaze. Gisborne ploughed on, growing on confidence as he paced to the farthest wall and back again.
"It would appear that Roana is no longer in Nottingham," he stopped in front of Vaisey, keeping a safe distance from the kestrel's talons, and delivered his triumphant finish.
"She has escaped from Hood. But, rather than return to the castle, she has chosen to go home, to Filey. Now, do you want to tell Bridlington, or shall I?"

******

"So, let me get this right. You've been sharing our secrets with Gisborne? Why would you do that?"
Little John was furious, slamming his staff into the ground as he rounded on Allan.
"That wasn't what I did at all!" Allan argued back, hotly. "Just let me explain!"
Arriving back from Clun, the gang had found Roana alone in camp and strangely reticent concerning Allan's whereabouts. Returning shortly afterwards swinging a coin bag full of silver, and with the cocky stride of someone who had complete confidence in his actions, Allan had nevertheless shocked them all when he had revealed he had spoken to Guy, and Little John turned on him, angrily.
"Robin. Please." Allan appealed to Robin, who held a hand up to Little John and nodded quietly in acceptance, crossing him arms as he waited for Allan to elaborate.
"So, my reckoning was," Allan began. "As William is obviously going to carry on looking for Roana until he finds her so they can get married and whatever," he paused to roll his eyes and shrugged. "Well, I thought, if I told Gisborne that she had got away from us and gone back to Filey, then we would be off the hook and Bridlington would stop looking for her here in the forest."
Allan petered off and looked to Robin in supplication. Everybody else followed suit, before Roana spoke up, hesitantly.
"That's actually a great idea." Allan threw her a grateful glance as she continued, warming to her subject. "If he's serious about marrying me, he will head straight back to Filey and we will be rid of him. Or, if not, he will stop sending Gisborne and his men to search the forest."
Robin rubbed his bottom lip, thoughtfully. "It actually might work."
"But what happens when he gets to Filey and you aren't there?" Much said.
Roana shrugged. "Then I guess he will either come back to Nottingham or return to Bridlington with his tail between his legs."
"What about Robert and Eleanor? Will they be safe?" Robin asked.
Roana's face paled. "Oh, God. I didn't think of them."
Robin crossed to her, quickly, and placed a hand on her shoulder. "Roana, it will be fine. I've been meaning to contact them anyway. I'll send word to them tonight, with a little protection." Roana looked at him, hopefully. "It will be fine. Don't worry. We need to get a message to Roger of Stoke," he spoke over her head, directing his words to Will. "I'll need parchment and a quill."
"I'm on it," Will shot Roana a quick smile and slunk away.
"As far as Robert and Eleanor know, you are here. As far as William knows, you are there," Robin continued. "Allan has actually bought us some time." He crossed to Allan, slapping him on the back. "Good thinking, Allan."
Roana smiled at Allan, gradually recovering her colour. "Thank you."
"So, we've potentially got rid of William for at least five days. We can offer your aunt and uncle protection, and meanwhile, you get to relax and enjoy life as an outlaw without worrying about William looking for you." Djaq pointed out. "Hopefully, he will forget about you in time."
"He's an idiot if he does," Allan spoke up, blithely. "But let's hope so. And, anyway," he held the coin bag up with a flourish, swinging it back and to. "I got this out of it."
Robin laughed and Allan threw him the bag, which he caught in one hand and held up to the others in glee. "Thanks a lot, Gisborne."