X

They say that the most beautiful moments always seem to accelerate and slip beyond one's grasp just when you want to hold onto them for as long as possible.

I didn't want to leave Tess' company and resume with my work.

She was an interesting person to engage with, and seemed to cherish her privacy, leaving so much room for imagination.

Her opinions and perspectives were invigorating and very much mentally arousing—I felt so fortunate to be granted the opportunity.

So, like before, I got a little nervous when she took out her humble MasterCard Black Card and paid for our lunch.

But I released the tension of it and sought healing by conversing and realizing that it was life.

It happens.

I knew the foregoing scene was going to lead to many sleepless nights for days, weeks, even years to come! But I was grateful for the gift of a profound acquaintance who saw what was beneath the surface.

On our ride back, she was back to being her pondering, sober self which I greatly understood. It was a part of her personality.

I found her like that, so it was better to leave it like that.

Probably, Derek undeservingly knew her true colors.

The thought of Derek left a bitter taste in my mouth, so I quickly pushed him to the back of my mind.

Tess' car rolled by my office, attracting gawking onlookers. I smiled at her and surprisingly, she graced me with her own.

I loved it when she smiled. It was a breathtaking sight to see—all I wanted to do was stare at her, and savor her beautiful eyes then maybe—

"Kyle," she clipped, and I blinked, mottling into a hot crimson.

How does she have such a gripping effect on me already?

"I'm sorry, what?" I stuttered, and she frowned. I still didn't miss the twitch of her lips.

"Get your head out of the clouds."

"Right. Thanks again, Tess."

This will take some time to getting used to.

I thanked Simon too and climbed out, waving at them before heading inside the building.

Uncertainty and paranoia coursed through me when I read the looks pasted on my co-workers faces.

Why are they staring at me like that?

What was it? Disbelief? jealousy? The girls didn't bother greeting me either.

The people on my floor seemed normal—much to my relief, and I walked past Harold's office just as he looked up. He too watched silently, never calling for me.

Okay?

"Where were you?" Naomi quizzed, standing by the scanner with Tony. 

"I was out for lunch."

"Really? That's weird I thought you liked having it here since you don't have any friends to—"

"Kyle was out with Tess Salander!" Emma squealed, bouncing off into Harold's office.

I might just be your first fight, Emma.

I pretended to be interested with the blank document on my computer screen, feeling everyone's stare drill into me.

"You mean Tess Salander the fashion designer?" Naomi inquired dubiously.

What am I supposed to say?