XXV

It was Friday...night.

I stared into the mirror, and fingered the velvet material of my tuxedo.

It was a pity that I had convinced myself that a day at the New England Aquarium with my parents would've provided me with the kind of solace I needed.

It was as serene as I had expected, but now all that feeling ran through the window and I didn't have a clue on where I was going.

The only communication I had held with Tess was minutes after coming from work.

A knock had come from the door, and a man stood before me with a black garment bag that had the words, Alexander Wang inscribed onto it.

And when I had thought that was all, he presented me a matching shoe box.

Despite politely declining the gift that was apparent enough to realize it was sent by Tess, he left me no choice, so I took it in and stared at the bag as the dialing sound on my phone filled the room.

Not all the money in the world could have bought Zoe into letting me speak with Tess.

And so, I decided to open it, a glorious suit with magnificent fabrics stared back at me.

I was in awe, simultaneous to the guilt that held me hostage.

A small note tumbled out, and I picked it up, the sweet fragrance picking at my senses.

"Love the giver more than the gift."

"Why are you worrying so much about it?"

"It's too much, Zoe."

"Just accept it, she'd be glad if you did so."

"You have no idea how much this is, do you?"

"Oh, I have an idea. I'm her personal assistant, remember," she laughed, and I chewed my fingernail nervously.

"How much are we talking?"

"That's for me to know and you to wonder."

"We're talking hundreds, aren't we?"

"Mm...maybe a few hundreds or thousands—"

"Thousands!" I roared.

"I said maybe."

"Zoe," I groaned.

"Take it from me, Kyle, you'd have honored her by accepting her gifts. You don't know the kind of effort she puts into these things, and you declining them will just lead to disappointment. You like her, don't you?"

"I do," I answered tiredly.

"Then just accept it..."

"Fine, but it's not making me feel any better."

"Well, it should. I'll see you later."

"You're coming?"

"Obviously," she chuckled, and I sighed from the consolation.

"Why won't you give her the phone?"

"She's busy, and so am I."

"Fine. Bye."

"Bye."

Love the giver more than the gift?

What does this mean?

Does she want me to love her? I clicked my tongue at the ridiculous conclusion.

I just had to wait and find out from her, and the time was now.