XVI

It was time.

This was the day I was going to have dinner with Tess, and I was a bundle of jittery nerves and cold sweats.

Sitting on my bed, I chewed my fingernail and contemplated on something to wear.

It was cold out, so I grabbed a black sweater and my jeans, knowing that I'd wear my jacket over it.

My bruise was still visible.

So yeah, fuck Derek.

If words could kill, my best bet would that he'd have dropped dead to the floor, and I'd have ended up cancelling dinner just for work, which I obviously didn't want.

My curly hair was never obedient to my commands, so I decided to let it have its way and sit messily for the night.

As I stood in the shower with warm water cascading down my back, I wondered what we'd do or talk about. Hopefully nothing awkward like sitting at a huge dining table with us at opposite ends, having to yell, "What?!" every time she said something.

I imagined Tess in something comfortable, and maybe we'd sit in the kitchen and talk about something we could really connect tothat's if there was anything we could both ideally relate to.

That's the thing about polar opposites, it's great when it comes to finding an equilibrium because of how two characters come together and neutralize the balance, but in terms of conversation?

Didn't think so.

But I liked being in her company. There were so many things about Tess that I couldn't help falling for, but could she have said the same for me?

I probably might have been okay or somewhat decent since I always found myself being involved with her.

My dark goddess...would she show me and stop pretending for the night?

I just had to be patient with her.

So, when I was done basking in my endless circuit of questions that I wasn't going to get answers to, I stepped out of the shower went back to my room.

By the time I was done tying the laces of my black converse with my father's watch on my wrist, it was 17.15. Which meant that I had to leave the apartment with no further time wasted.

When I strolled into the kitchen, I glanced at the red bottle of red wine and debated if it was suitable enough. Finally concluding that it'd suffice, I took it in and left.

The minutes ticked by as I cruised in her neighborhood, and I took the left turn that lead me in front of her double gates, swallowing my heart back into my chest.

Reaching over to press the intercom, the black entrance slowly pushed forward before I fulfilled my intention.

I slowly rolled up her cobblestone driveway, and gazed at the masses of roses and daffodils that were stemming from her neat lawn. And her guarding statues stared at me the entire time.

What's Tess' net worth anyway?

I stepped into the chilly evening, the last light of the day fading into the sapphire sky.

Here I am, Her Majesty's Castle.

***

Rubbing my hands together for warmth, I strode over to the front door, the stones and sand crunching beneath my feet.

I chanted a mantra in my head as I rung the doorbell, waiting for her to answer the door. And when it swung open, my smile faltered when I was greeted by someone who wasn't Tess.