XLIV

"Your home is beautiful," I complimented as we strolled past the tennis courts, down the ridges and stopped by the swimming pool.

Each having flutes of golden bubbly in our hands, we sat by the chairs lined in front of the alighted water.

"Thank you."

"I was hoping to finally meet Kit-Kat."

"She's around somewhere, probably in the guest house."

"Who's in the guest house?"

"No-one—I work there."

"Why don't you just use the main house?"

"I find it hard to make peace with a sanctuary that many people intrude."

"What kind of sanctuary?"

"A courtyard with a lovely garden and my favorite books."

"You're such an old soul."

"I've always been one—but uhm—Are you planning to leave anytime soon?"

"Maybe in an hour or two."

"Perfect."

"What do you have in mind?" I asked, and she cocked her head to the side.

"I want to show you something."

"Which is?"

"A surprise."

"Oh, so I have to tolerate surprises but you don't?" I joked, and she sipped her chilled drink.

"It's a good one, you'd prefer it that way."

Hm...more sex maybe?

"I'll hold you onto that."

"I don't dare to disappoint."

"What if—"

My ringtone interjected, reminding me that I actually owned a cellphone, one that I hadn't looked at all day.

I looked back at Tess apologetically, but she just blinked at me.

"Well?"

"I'll be right back," I stopped a few chairs down from our spot. 

Harold. Here we go again.

"Hello?" I answered speedily.

"Kyle, have you watched the news?"

"No, I'm not home. What's wrong—"

"They've found the killer," he interrupted, and my breath caught in my throat as I stared at the fountain like grotto.

"What?"

"Well, they're still not sure, but it must be her."

"That's great. Fantastic." I was beyond shaken.

"I need you to go over and get the pieces of information from Naomi, she drove down to investigate earlier, but I want you to write the article. I need to see it by 7AM."

In normal circumstances, I'd have complained that it was a Sunday, but I was too shocked from the news to say otherwise.

"Will do."

"It's pretty vexed, so I'd suggest you look into it right now because it's everywhere, so you know the kind of competition there is."

"I'll give it my best. Maybe I can have Naomi upload it on our website."

"That's what I like to hear. Good night," he hung up.

I dropped my hand to my side as a million thoughts swam in my mind.