XXXI

"I thought your job was to know things beforehand."

"It's unfortunate that I had not been a Boston resident yet," I surveyed her unbothered face.

She had not paled, or showed the spark of surprise I had been expecting.

"Unfortunate you say."

"So, tell me."

She cleared her throat meaningfully, and glared at me.

"What's this for?"

"It's just something that's piqued my curiosity," I answered, and she arched a brow.

"I see...well, you're lucky that I have no problem with issuing my version of the affair considering that you heard a different one anyway."

"Which is?"

"You probably heard that I assaulted and threatened these men, which was what led them into suing me in the 'first place'."

"Correct."

"Drink?" She pushed herself off the desk, heading towards her collection of the finest whiskies.

"I'm fine, I don't intend on staying too long."

"More for me."

The glug of her alcohol filled the air as she poured it into a glass. It was hard not to grip the armrests of my chair.

I need to know. Now.

"You see, Greg, even when you're a creative director and co-founder of a very large company, you'll still find yourself being manipulated when you're dealing with renowned entrepreneurs—men in my situation," she casually sat on her office chair, savoring a long sip.

"What happened?"

"I found out something that would've threatened the entire balance of cooperations, and because they wouldn't comply to my requests, they set me up and had me off their backs for 6 months."

"What did you find out?" Eagerness was etched onto my face.

"You're not gullible enough to believe that I'll let you know, are you?"

"It seems far important not to."

"Can't."

"This could be used against you, you know?"

"What?"

"Oh, don't pretend to be oblivious. You know what they're saying out there, that you are a suspect of being the Lady in Red."

Of course I had to partially lie for her to open up.

"Me?" She blinked rapidly.

"Why are you surprised?"

"Because I'm not the Lady in Red!"

"How should I believe that when you share something in common with her? Where were you during the shooting?"

"Watching you being publicly embarrassed that's for sure!"

I blushed furiously as it took a moment for me to recover.

"I didn't see you."

"You didn't have to, and you weren't even looking. It's already bad enough that I dislike you, but I knew that Mason was lying. And now I'm beginning to question why I considered going on your side if things escalated any further when you come and accuse me of such."

"Then why won't you tell me? It doesn't have to be this complicated, Marisol. We don't have to despise each other for no apparent reason just because it seems fit."

"You just don't have any idea about the casualties of this whole thing."

"I'll figure it out once I know. Just please, it's so much that I'm also being tangled up in because of this—Tess—people just don't like me being with someone like her."

It shocked me to see her snarky facial expressions soften into one of semi-sympathy.

"I understand that we got off on the wrong foot."

"I don't think that's what happ—"

"Shush," she hissed, "I get that you're in a difficult position right now, and I know you like Tess more than I would've wanted to see—"

"What do you—"

"Just shut up, Greg. You came asking for answers, now I'm giving them to you."

I rolled my eyes, and leaned back into the seat with folded hands.

"But I can't tell you even if I wanted to."

"Why?"

"It's not safe. Like I said, I had to serve 6 months just because I had figured out their secret. Tess would be gravely upset if she knew that I put you in such a position."

She would?

"They don't need to know," I whispered, and she scratched her forehead with her pink acrylics.

"One way or another, they will find out."

"How?"

"Kyle..."

"Is that why she's killing them? Just give me something so I know her motive."

"I don't know, many people are aware of this secret, but there are many others. She could be murdering them for vengeance or something of her own."

"Do you know her?"

"No...I wish I did."

"Would you have exposed her if you did?"

"I'm not going to lie, Kyle, it depends. I'm not soft or forgiving like Tess, in some ways it's wrong but...I can't help it."

"Okay."

"Is that all?"

"I guess so," I sighed, "Thank you."

"Welcome," she rose from her seat and escorted me out.

"Don't get me wrong, Greg, I really don't like you."

"Why?" I asked as we stepped into the elevator.

"You've never given me a reason to believe otherwise," she shrugged.

"So in order to like someone, they must give you a reason to like them?"

"It just is like that."

"Wow," I laughed, and she gave me a side eye.

"I see that you and Tess are in some sort of bubble of your own."

"I don't know."

"Hmm...I see."

And soon enough, we stepped out of the elevator, the same looks on the girls' faces as they had when I was with Tess.

"What is up with him?" One of the girls whispered.

"It was nice seeing you, Greg," she shook my hand, "Do find pleasure in never stopping by again."

"I will."

"Good day."

Just when I turned around, the lobby fell silent as Tess appeared at the door, slowly removing her shades as her glacial eyes searched the room before landing on me—Marisol—and our hands that were still intact.

She let go of me and I walked away, making sure to approach Tess and see if she'd do anything.

But then, I quickly changed my mind and walked past her.

Letting go of the breath I had been holding, I fought the urge to turn around and speak to her.

But it's like she said, now is not the time.

When she wants to give me answers, she will.

Double update! It's pretty late and I'm exhausted...just hoping there aren't too many mistakes :/

Happy reading <3