LIV

I didn't know where I was.

All I could see through the narrow barred window overlooking the orange and brown leaves looking like a beautiful fire as they laid on the dried blades of the grass.

My location was remote. Barricaded by sinister shadows that whispered that the hour of my death was near.

Even if I managed to escape the wooden walls of the home, it was evident that I couldn't run a long way without anybody noticing. Or if I did, someone would find me in the midst of the dense forest bordering miles away.

I looked into the darkness surrounding me as I was in the basement. Several cloths that bathed in dust sat on top of abandoned furniture randomly and the scenery made my stomach occasionally flip when I listened to the slow drops of water leak from a rusty pipe.

Was this really how it was supposed to end?

A battle against a ruthless, powerful man to prove how I felt towards the woman I loved?

I was afraid. Afraid of a lot of things. The choice he'd decided for my death, if my family and Tess were safe, and if he would prolong to keep me imprisoned in this depressing place with no food or water.

I sat down and leaned my back against the wall and regretted not taking Tess' word to protect my ego.

Maybe if I stayed, I wouldn't have been here lost in a sea that drowned me in constant worry and suffocating anxiety.

But then again, you just never know the kind of message hidden in adversity's.

How warm it was! The temperature was horrid, and the humidity wasn't any less.

But soon, I heard the soft click of the door from above the flight of stairs and my heart burst to life as this only meant two things for me.

I squinted really hard because my glasses were nowhere to be found, and my vision wavered and stilled at once.

A gentle whistle filled the air and I rose to my feet and stood confidently in the light streaks of the sun and waited for my procurer.

"Kyle," I heard a gruff male voice call out.

"What?"

"Oh, there you are," he said humorously and my eyes darted to the shadows as a tall, gray haired man emerged from them.

He had a twinkle in his jade eyes. One that mocked me and told me he had a secret he wasn't going to reveal.

"Why am I here?" I said with my voice void of emotion.

"Ah. I see you're confused, however you'll soon learn to know after you give me your word."

"Which is?" I said with an arched eyebrow.

"If you promise to put on your best behavior for my master, then will make your visit here less unbearable. Easy."

"What do you mean by that?" I watched with incredulity as my eyes briefly swept the man's stature.

"You'll be granted permission to leave the basement, have your own room and have excellent treatment from our personnel."

"Personnel?"

"Why of course. Cooks, cleaners, guards, body guards."

Guards? Bodyguards?

I had a feeling he mentioned that to remind me that I was going to be watched to prevent me from rebelling.

"I will cooperate."

"Really?" He said seconds away from laughing.

"Yes."