XXIII

"I like you, Kyle."

The startling discovery still appeared fresh in my mind, sharply tearing through until all I had left were shreds of my reasoning.

The remembrance of her words still urged my heart to pound a mere whisper away from bursting.

It had been the night after my meeting with Mason.

Relief was renewed within me when I had come to realize that it had been a Porsche with a complete stranger riding in it.

That same night when the aching feeling of excitement and missing Tess took a strong grip on me, I turned to social media to inquire about her whereabouts.

I propped my head onto the pillows and hummed with interest when learning that she had flown all the way to East Africa.

Guessing the best therapy was advocating and helping communities, she donated a great fortune towards the Anti-Female Genital Mutilation and Education For All campaign, whilst constructing water sources.

It gladdened me that the vast majority felt sympathetic towards her loss, but there were the occasional accusations that believed she had been a part of a complex conspiracy against Derek.

It was "evident" that she wanted his wealth as her own, and I found myself blaming Naomi for the recruitment of such people.

Brutal creatures with empathy on the brink of extinction as they traded it for a phlegmatic trend. Compassion and understanding never stripping anything from them as they turned away from the enlightening truth.

Wasn't it enough to know that Derek's attorney said Tess initially denied a single cent and piece of his established estate?

It was upsetting. And even though Derek's case was already closed, investigators insisted on uncovering his drug dealer and exposing all his clients.

A very large disadvantage to them considering that he was a big fish in the narcotics industry, hence concluding his identity wouldn't be as easy as it ought to be.

And as for the prostitutes who were confirmed to be of age, would be standing before the magistrate for their illegal services.

I sighed and clicked my phone off before readying myself for Harold's emergency meeting that would commence at 7 o' clock.

Settling in the car, I listened to the news—more like the never-ending broadcasts of heartfelt tributes towards Derek.

It was then that I wondered if anybody besides Tess and Marisol were aware of his violent nature.

What about his friends?
Mason?

Surely they should've known this.

And why was Mason pursuing Tess if his friend was already with her?

Something was seriously wrong with how the elites operated.

Shutting my eyes momentarily as Mason's attempted bribe crossed my mind, I clenched my jaw at the audacity then decided to let it go altogether.

Are you possessed? I heard Naomi say.

Am I?

Addicted, obsessed—clearly.

Finally making it to work, I grimaced at the dark building that seemed to inhabit no more than pieces of furniture.

A hoax, I thought.

Regardless of it, I started for the glass doors and expected them to be locked, but they swung open at my command.

Okay?