XV

I woke up feeling very upset, not sure if I could continue burdening the weight that unraveled before me.

I knew I had feelings for Tess, and that upset me more. Out of all the women in the world, I had to fall for the one I had no chance with, the one I'd endure blows and insults for, one who made my co-workers turn against me.

The universe hated me—I was sure.

So, I angrily dressed into an outfit that consisted of blue jeans, and my "grotesque" brown jacket with the perfect accessory which would be a huge black eye.

No amount of make-up could've concealed the hideous blur of purple, black and blue. It was ridiculously swollen, and at one point I saw it throb—disgusting.

As disgusting as Derek. I still couldn't process his racist comment. It continuously drummed in my head.

I knew that I'd be the highlight of the day at work.

Why else would I be sporting a huge bruise on my face the morning after a furious boyfriend came looking for me?

Naomi was right.

Tony was right.

Everyone was right.

Since when have I become so foolish?

Turning on the T.V with a bowl of fruit loops on my lap, my phone vibrated in my pocket and I pulled it out.

Tess was inscribed on the caller I.D—again.

I hadn't saved her number, in fear of raising more expectations than what reality would cater for.

It had been the 5th time she was calling that morning and I didn't want any confrontation.

Probably Derek had warned her about his encounter with me, and she finally wanted to call off whatever we had. That conversation was long overdue.

So, I tossed it into my pocket and ate a spoonful of my cereal, pretending to be interested in the morning news.

When it rang again, I closed my eyes and waited until it fell silent.

As I finished lazing around and started to collect my stuff, a knock came from the door.

It always had to be in a situation like this.

Walking towards it with a fist and a rigid posture, I was ready to attack like I should've before.

Looking through the peephole, I found no-one and rolled my eyes with annoyance, but opened it regardless.

"Keith, you should answer your—Kyle!" Tess gasped with horror when seeing my hideous wound.

My heart momentarily stopped when I looked at my dark goddess who was draped in black from head to toe. Her long-sleeved shirt was tucked into a pair of tight slacks and her feet adorned pointy stilettos.

She looked beautiful, but I refocused on my indulgence with anger.

What?

"What happened to you?" She examined my eyes.

"Tess, what are you doing here?" I mumbled with exhaustion, her brows shooting up.

Too much?

"I had called to check up on you, but you weren't picking up. Is everything alright?"

Your boyfriend Tess, and the rest of the world.

"I don't think you should be here."

Her eyes narrowed.

"What is going on, Kyle?"