XXXV

Startled by the discovery, I jerked off (no pun intended) and searched her still body.

Quickly throwing my clothes on, my heart raced with fear as I placed a pillow beneath her feet and rummaged through my wardrobe.

"This cannot be happening right now," I muttered, placing her limp body into my t-shirt and sweats.

When I had finally configured it all, I grabbed my car keys and lifted her over my shoulder, hoping it was just a mere fainting scenario.

I couldn't afford anything happening to her if I needed to live with a clear conscience.

It was pretty late by the time I was racing out of the building—no one present to suspect me of participating in something sinister.

There wasn't a particularly good reason for walking around with an unconscious person after midnight. Especially if you're a black man and she's white.

I placed her in the backseat of my car and positioned her shoes beneath her feet for elevation, cursing inwardly as I threw myself inside before speeding in the direction of the ER.

I was worried about worsening things by attracting the police, but flew past the red traffic lights regardless as I glanced way too many times in the rear-view mirror to check on Tess.

What happened back there?

Five minutes away from our destination, I did a double take when she subtly shifted.

It was when she let out a muffled groan that my shoulders slumped with relief.

"Tess, are you okay?"

"What?" She whispered, and slowly sat up.

"What is going on, Kyle? Where are we going? What happened?"

"You passed out."

She frowned with confusion.

I continued driving down the street because I had to be sure everything was okay with her.

"What?"

"You fainted." I repeated, and

I glanced into the mirror, reflecting an embarrassed Tess who looked anything but pleased.

"I'm fine now, take me back."

"You gotta get to the hospital," I reassured.

"Take me back this instant."

"But—"

"Now," she snapped, and I unexpectedly felt annoyed.

"Stop ordering me around, Tess. I've never minded it before, but it's becoming a habit for you."

All I wanted to do was help or at least make her feel good, but nothing positive came from it.

"Ordering you around? I don't see why I'm being denied the right of anything that concerns me."

I kept quiet, telling myself to calm down and deal with everything she threw my way. It was nothing I couldn't handle.

"Kyle!"

We eventually cruised into the hospital parking lot, a blaring ambulance residing with a few paramedics attending to it.

"Kyle. Turn the car around right now."

"It's for your own good."

"I don't fucking care! If you won't take me back then I will call Simon!"

I cut the engine, and stepped out before opening her door.

"Are you coming, or I have to carry you inside?"