XXIX

"He's lying."

"I am not—"

"Mason," she warned, and looked back to me.

"He set up a meeting with me when you were gone and tried to bribe me out of your life!"

"Lies!" Mason cried and looked around, "Ladies and gentlemen, this journalist came to me, profusely harassing me over the fact that he knows that I regard Tess as someone special in my life! He said he wanted 5% of my wealth, and because I thought it'd be ridiculous having to give someone that much money he's now going to say that I'm the one who bribed him out of it!"

Gasps and whispers of disapproval filled the air, as I fell into a deep pit of dishonor.

"How could you, Mason? Lie to all these people because of my status," I mumbled with humiliation.

"You know what—fine, have it your way," he spat, and walked over to Christine.

And when he started fiddling with the blue garnet necklace bound around her neck, realization dawned on me, and my body trembled with raw anger.

The crowd also anticipated what was to come, because they yelled unsavory terms towards me. They said I was an opportunist, that I belonged with the poor, and I had no class.

What have I done to deserve this?

Zoe appeared by my side, but I was frozen on my spot, not willing to move or speak as Mason marched over with the massive jewels.

"This rare blue garnet necklace cost me up to $2 million dollars per carat!" He roared, feigning offense and rage. "—there! You can have it!"

He tossed it to me, and it hit my chest before clattering to the floor. I looked at him with disgust, and suddenly latched onto his throat.

Startled screams came from every angle, but I was knee deep in boiling revenge. I couldn't stop, and wouldn't stop until I saw the satisfying image of him writhing beneath me.

"Stop him!" I heard them cry, and the crowd grew closer and closer, trying to pry us apart.

"Stop!" Tess screamed, but I tightened my grip, watching Mason choke and redden as he clawed at my hands.

"I said stop!"

Her voice this time held a thoroughly chilling tone. A tone that had me letting go and breathing with flared nostrils as I stared at him.

And when I looked at Tess, she wore the same look, and shook her head at me.

I didn't do it.

"Tess, he's lying, I didn't ask him to pay me for you in exchange."

"So, I guess that is what you described as work, huh?"

No.

"You fucking weasel!" Mason yelled as he dusted himself up. "How dare you?"

"Mason," Tess walked to his side.

It pained me. My mouth became dry as I came to realize that she was taking his side.

I felt a strong sensation of pain, threatening to rupture the stability of my emotions.

"Turn the ship around," she ordered.

"What?"

"I said, turn this ship around!"

"But we're already miles into the Atlantic—"

"You are going to turn this ship around, and you're going to do it right now! I am not going to repeat myself!"

"Why are you angry with me?"

"You take me for a fool, Mason. How could you bribe someone and frame them of asking for your wealth!"

"Tess," he said with wide eyes, "He came to me."

"Don't you lie, and do not fucking lie in my face right now. Turn this ship around. This. Instant!"

As her angry voice echoed around the ballroom, the lights suddenly came off.

Panicked screams and stampedes arose in an instant, and I frantically checked my perimeter even though we were now submerged in utter darkness.

Not a single spark of light was found.

"Everybody calm down!" A voice screamed.

There was no hope in neutralizing the frenzy. I felt myself being pushed into every direction as people yelled about the ship sinking.

I was still bathed in the aftermath of Mason's accusation.

Where is Tess?

And as soon as the thought crossed my mind, an ear-splitting gunshot rang in my ears as the screams worsened.

My heart was in my throat, on the verge of giving out as I looked in all directions, thinking I'd penetrate the darkness in search of Tess.

It was then that a flashlight illuminated the room, and majority of the people were laying face down on the floor for safety.

But there was nothing in mind. I still stood there.

I couldn't see her anywhere. I was trying very hard not to overthink but I could not.

"Tess!" The screams drowned my voice. I was suddenly pulled to the ground by Zoe and I faced her wide-eyed.

"She's fine!"

"What the fuck is going on!"

"I don't know!"

Oh God, Oh God, Oh God.

And when the second gunshot fired through, terrified shouts and wails rose tremendously, tremors running through me.

But then, the lights came on again, and dozens of women had mascara chasing their tears.

We were all on the floor, pressed flush as we held onto dear life.

There wasn't anyone holding a gun. I couldn't see anyone holding a gun.

"What's going on?" A man yelled, but a high-pitched shriek grabbed all of our attention.

"Walter!" She cried, and instantly more and more voices shouted with urgency.

Tired of the frightening bullshit, I stood up and searched the room for any kind of clue. But my mouth parted in horror when I saw a man drenched in blood, gurgling and spitting with his back against the wall.

He had two bullet holes in his chest, and I sprinted over as people followed and surveyed the horrific scene.

Bile rose at the back of my throat as I neared him, his lifeless eyes dimming by the minute.

I crouched before him, and his mouth leaked blood onto his front. Then I noticed a red lipstick print on his forehead—it was a massive heart.

My skin prickled as numerous thoughts raced in my mind.

"Somebody save him!"

"Who did this?"

"Walter!"

"No!"

Feeling the ship steer into a different direction, I held onto the wall for support as Walter's head finally fell limply to the side.

She is here.

Is she?😕😯

Happy reading!❤😚