XL

"Excuse me?" Her voice aired my mind.

"I mean you know it's too soon, and I'm not even sure who he is," cue the invasive stare, "It's that journalist from the tabloids, isn't it!"

I clenched my jaw at the audacity, seconds away from getting up and walking straight out the door—except that I had to get the bill.

"It is," Tess replied and he gasped.

"Tess! What in the world?"

"I don't understand what you mean," she murmured passively, her glacial walls building up with full force.

"This is just so wrong. Do you know what the media will say especially not long after your boyfriend's passing?"

"You have no right to dictate what happens in my life, I appreciate that we're friends, but don't do that again."

"You know that I don't shy away with honesty."

Right! Let's do this, Piero.

"I've been sitting here, pretending like I wasn't listening to a single word you've said, but you've got some nerve saying shit like that," I towered over him.

"Please don't intervene in our conversation—we're friends."

To say that I was surprised, was an understatement.

"You should mind your own business before we take this outside."

"How ghetto," he mumbled, and my eyebrows shot up.

"What was that?"

"Who are you again?"

"I demand that you apologize for your bullshit, right now."

"Or what? Tess I must say that I'm disappointed in your taste lately, and you," he glared at me,"Watch who you're speaking to."

"You know what..." I rolled up the sleeves of my shirt as Tess quickly stepped between us.

"That wouldn't be necessary. Bill please!" She called out, and a waiter appeared within a flash.

This is about money.

Everything has to be about money.

"I'll have that," I mumbled to the waiter, and Piero laughed heartily.

"Well I'm surprised."

I quickly scanned my card, and shoved it back into my wallet.

"I will not hesitate to fight you if—"

"That's enough. Good day, Piero," Tess clipped, and tried to pull me away but I stood there, eyes blazing, blood simmering—ready to lash out at him.

His beady eyes calculated and filter with fear, striving to put up with my harsh stare.

Then before I could even decipher what was happening, I shoved him with a force that sent him crashing on a table before toppling to the floor.

I remember the instant screams and cries, the way Tess tried to pry me away from him.

Swallowing hard, he groaned and squirmed with pain.

"Somebody please call security!" Someone in the background yelled.

"Never do that again," I seethed, and  grabbed Tess' hand as I lead her out.

She followed obediently without uttering a single word. I saw the bustling waiters, the panicked security guards arriving at the scene already too late.