XXX

"Hey Kyle."

"Hi."

My stare was glued onto the ocean as we urgently cruised back to the terminal. Everyone including myself were scattered across the deck.

The truth is we weren't safe. Not inside or out. After all, she was right there with us.

I had already informed Harold about the gruesome scene, and captured pictures with my cellphone, knowing very well that once the authorities took charge, the advantage would be out of reach.

She leaned onto the railing of the ship, and I looked at her, a deep unsettling feeling feeding through my stomach.

"I know you're upset," her face pulled with distraught, "And I want to apologize."

"Tess, you have a choice. You always do. So why do you bring me here in the end?"

"I wanted you to be here."

"Really? I find that very hard to believe."

I didn't want to believe that, and I didn't know why I always chose to.

Maybe it was the enchanting gleam in the Salander blue's that set her and other women apart.

"I didn't have any choice but to leave with Mason," she swallowed hard.

"Give me three valid reasons on why you couldn't stay?"

My eyes deeply searched hers, and for a while, she bravely stuck her stare on me before pulling away.

"You know, I know it sounds so easy to believe that you're doing me a favor, but I don't need it. I already have so much to bear on my shoulders— it's all too much—and it's harder when you're confused."

"I'm not confused."

"So, what is it Tess?"

"I just...I think now is a bad time to be discussing this."

I laughed dryly.

"Take all the time you need Tess."

"Excuse me," she walked away, taking my last bit of hope with her.

And like that, the natural fear towards the shooting gradually faded in my mind.

I fiddled with my wristwatch, and wondered when I would finally realize that this really was a fantasy that I was hoping would evoke into something real.

"Tonight has been awful."

"And long," I sighed.

"I'm sorry about it—everything."

"It's nothing to worry about, but I want to ask you something Zoe."

She nodded slowly, trying to ease her way through my mind.

"Do you think that this is a good idea?"

"You and Tess?"

She already knew.

Am I becoming that obvious?

Her playing with her braids nervously, made me anxious.

"I don't know, Kyle. If it hurts you more than it makes you happy, then maybe I'm not the one to answer to that. But if it's something important, something valuable, then it'd be best you wait."

"I feel like this is just the beginning of whatever confusing ride Tess is going to pull me on."

"I saw you guys talking."

"She doesn't think it's a good time to talk about tonight."

"Maybe it's not," she frowned, "Kyle, everyone is distressed—more than petrified from the shooting, and we don't know who it is. We have a killer walking among us, putting on their best facade to act surprised as well."