Chapter 17

~ In Volcano Rock City ~

"What's going on?!" Poppy asked. Bran said, "I don't know." There was a shake in her voice. "I think the volcano is erupting..." Barb said. "I think that..... Creature we saw is behind this. He looked like he was running away from behind the volcano," Poppy observed. Then she liked really worried. "What if the other volcanoes are erupting too? We need to go check!"

Barb said, "Popsqueak, if the others are erupting, and we go check on them, we will get caught in the eruption!" She pronounced each word carefully so Poppy could get it through her head. Barb didn't want either of them to get hurt. "Besides," she said, "They would probably be smart and run away from them."

Poppy did the puppy dog eyes. "Please, Barb. I don't want anyone to get hurt." Poppy closed her eyes as she said what she wanted to say next. "I would rather sacrifice myself for them instead of saving myself and leaving them, so please don't stop me."

Barb just looked at the young queen in shock. She wasn't used to this side of Poppy. Barb didn't know she was willing to risk her life for anything. All she could do was nod. "Let's go, then." Without waiting for Barb, Poppy ran to find the others, and Barb raced after her.

They got to Trollex first. He had a worried expression plastered on his face. Poppy said, "Your Majesty, we need to get as far away from here as possible. The volcanoes are erupting." They helped the fish-like troll a little ways out, then headed towards the volcano that the Funk trolls were at.

Poppy called out to them, "Your Majesties! We need to get out of here, quick!" Quincy said, "But we saw something near the volcano, we need to check it out!" Barb said, "Do you want to be seen drenched in lava while inspecting it?!" Essence looked at her husband and said, "Barb's right, we should get out of here."

Poppy said, "You get a head start, I need to at least get a glimpse of what you saw. You too, Barb." Barb started, "Popsqueak-" but Poppy looked at her in a pleading way. Barb rolled her eyes, and Poppy knew she had won. "C'mon," she said. Barb followed.

They looked for a few minutes, but they didn't see anything. Poppy said, frustrated, "Ugh, there's nothing here! What did they see?" Barb replied, "I don't know, but-" she got cut off by ashes spewing out of the volcano next to them. "-But we need to get out of here!" Barb said, finishing her sentence.

Poppy gave in and nodded. "Yeah, let's go," she said. Barb started to run away. Once she ran for a while, she asked Poppy, "Where are we even going?" No answer. "Popsqueak?" Barb looked behind her and saw that Poppy wasn't following her. "Where is she?" She asked herself. She was about to go back and look, but then she saw that the volcano was about to erupt, so she kept running.

~

Poppy started to run after Barb, but she couldn't. She saw that the skirt of her dress was caught on a stick. It wouldn't come free. "Come on," she whispered to herself. She was exhausted from the sprinting, extremely hot from the heat of the volcanoes, and she was covered in ashes. After a few minutes of tugging, she was really, really exhausted. Her dress was really stuck.

She collapsed, sweating profusely, and she tried to get back up again, but the volcano was already erupting; it was too late. Poppy whispered, "Please help," as darkness surrounded her.