Chapter 19

Branch held the unconscious queen's head in his lap. He wiped some ash off her cheek while he wiped the tears off of his. For each tear he cried, he held back a million more. The other rulers were trying to comfort him, but they were all very devastated themselves. Branch buried his face in his palms, and he remembered the last words he said to her: Now get out... Popsqueak. He didn't even get a chance to make it up to her.

Barb was really upset too. Poppy was her closest friend, aside from Riff. She helped her realize that she didn't need six stupid strings to listen to her favorite music. Poppy and Barb were the leaders of the most important genres in the history of trolls.

King Quincy and Queen Essence were really sad. They were proud to see how she's grown since they gave her the advice to recognize that differences do matter. They were also thankful that she had been friends with Cooper growing up.

Trollex wasn't close with the queen of Pop, but he wasn't happy to see her like this, lifeless. They occasionally took up small talk after meetings, and they both enjoyed it since he didn't do much for her.

With difficulty, Branch stood up, carrying his love in his arms. "W-we should get b-back to Pop V-village," he said, still letting the tears fall. They nodded slowly, and they started to make their way back to the village to break the news.

~

The five made it back to the village, trying not to be seen. They made their way to Poppy's pod and laid her I'm bed. Branch asked, "Can you guys go get a doctor? I- I want to see if she has a chance." They nodded. "Of course," Trollex said, and they left, leaving Branch alone.

He was shaking. He wanted to try and calm down, so he thought of the song they always sing to each other. It was one of their favorite songs. He took a deep breath and sang: I know your favorite song, I hear it every day. Whoever made your smile made it to get in my way...

He trailed off. He couldn't do it. He held his hands up to his face and cried again. When he removed his hands form in front of him, he saw that the color on his hands were... fading? He was turning grey again! He couldn't let that happen. To comfort himself, the thought, she may have a fighting chance.

Just then, the doctor walked in. She said, "Hello, Branch. I'm Dr. Blossom. I'm... so sorry. We're all going to miss her - if she doesn't have a chance. You want me to see if she does?" Branch nodded vigorously. So Dr. Blossom started the check up.