Chapter 21: Without You (Eli)

Author's Note: The following events are post-Into the Shadows events which means they have occured after the dramatic events of Into the Shadows. If you haven't seen that movie I suggest you put down this book for Guardian Slugs' sake and go flopping watch it.

Back at home, in my bedroom, it seemed quiet. Too quiet, actually. The day passed by in a blur. The battle with Tad and the realization that he was actually Blakk Jr. hurt me so bad I wanted to kill him right there. I wanted to relax after the exhausting battles in the East but ended up in this. But it's my birthday. The message from Dad, Tad's agonizing betrayal and having to leave Jun in the East hurt me. Now all I want to do is cry. But I can't! Not on my birthday. I would really disappoint everyone. I don't want to do that. All I want to be is happy on my birthday. But not with these thoughts plaguing me.

Now, in the dark quiet of my room, I turn over to the other side of my bed. All that greeted me was an empty space. Normally when I turn to this side, I would see Junjie's radiant face illuminated by the moonlight as if he was an angel. (No, for the last time, this is not JunEli) then I would blush hard and resist snuggling up to him for some warmth. But it's no wonder that when I wake up in the morning, I find Jun's arms around me and my body is nestled so closely to him. I end up blushing all over again and Burpy pokes me so much about it.

Speaking of Burpy, he doesn't look so good these days. He's heartbroken too, I can see that. But this is worse than anything I've seen. He's being robbed of sleep! Sleepless nights are bad for slugs. He's also constantly sad, roaming around and calling out as if he's looking for Joo-Joo. He hides the fact that he's hurt by them leaving, especially for my birthday. He didn't want to be seen sad on a special occasion such as this. But this...is too much for me to see. I imagine Joo-Joo back in the East, wondering how his little brother is.

Tears flow down my cheek. Normally, when I share problems to Jun like my Mom leaving me, my Dad disappeared and left me mysteriously, I end up crying and all he would do is dry my tears and rest his hands on my cheeks. And then he would tenderly hug me as if I was his brother. At least there was someone I can confide in with my sorrows. But with him not here...

Can I just nestle my head in my pillow and have a moment of silence to cry?