Chapter 38: We Didn't Understand (Junjie/Twist/Burpy)

Three points of view AGAIN! I know it's a little too much but it's worth like a few thousand words here. I just want to get in to the Wattys so here's a last minute writing for me. And don't go out blaming me because your parents yelled at you for using up the whole tissue box. And if you want to see how three points of view works, please do try and go back to the chapter He Has To Come Home for me so that I don't waste words explaining here. How is it that a lot of my author's notes are so long it scores a good few hundred words like this one? No need to push my luck here but a note and a letter are two different things.

After Will Shane came home to us, all of SlugTerra celebrated. There was a reason to go on! But I couldn't celebrate. I was paralysed with fear, considering the past I had with his former rival Dr. Blakk. How would he react? He will definitely kill me! But over time my thoughts about him changed. I saw that Eli inherited the same gentle heart as him and was willing to listen to out pasts. I saw this as the Gang freely talked about the memories they shared with their departed leader. Jun shared a few things about the Eastern Caverns too. Then I pictured Eli just laughing and talking with us. The others may not know it, but I can hear his voice. I can hear him laughing and talking with us. But whenever I opened my mouth to tell them about this, all that came out was air. And he quickly faded into the air. A painful lump grew in my throat. I tried to swallow it but failed. I quickly retreated to my room after three such incidents of this over the past few hours.

Twist has been acting all uncomfortable. What did we do? Nothing but talk! Why is he suddenly so nervous and quiet? This is never normal. What happened to him? His past with Dr. Blakk is one thing, but Eli's death must be the reason why he's a little bit edgy. Maybe he saw him with us and went upstairs to grieve a little bit. Is my guess right? One way to find out is to ask him. Hopefully he'll spill but if not, I know what to do.

(Finally, Burpy gets the underline again)

I know haw bad Twist feels. Clearly he can't get over losing Eli and regrets having to betray him. I bet he wished he had not turned against him and instead stuck with him to get to grow deeper in his relationship with him. I know how that must feel. Loki too feels distressed. When I want to comfort the little Thugglett, I want to give him a hug but there's no possible way to escape this cage they built for me. Yes, you heard right. I got locked up in this idiot cage after Eli talked to me and pressured me to come home. "It's for you to learn to stay close to home, little buddy," Trixie explained. So I showed them how I would feel. Like it or not, whenever they open the cage to comfort me, I try to bite them like a mad ghoul. And they back away. Serves them right! But...I think I've gone way too far with my aggression.

I want to relax myself a little and comfort Burpy in a way, but he bites! Once, he dug his super teeth in my finger and it bled! We had him taken to the vet to be tested for rabies, but not even the vet can touch him. So she waited until he was sound asleep, dragged him out of his cage and did a blood test. As a result of this, he stays in that cafe and refuses to come out, even when we do anything to lure him out. Joo-Joo even went inside to comfort his little brother but soon we heard a commotion coming from in the cage. Joo-Joo and Burpy were fighting! I pulled him (Joo-Joo) out quickly and to my surprise, he was bruised and his light-orange flesh was torn. There was blood on Burpy's teeth showing evidence he bit him and tried to tear him to pieces.

He had done too much now. We sent him to the vet even though his rabies test was negative. He was taken in as a patient. A dramatic change occurred to him then.  He became emotional as if time was turned back to the time his beloved slugslinging buddy died. Apparently being to the hospital reminded him of the day Eli Shane said farewell and drew in his last breath. He watched that time, and I could tell he didn't want to leave Eli's side. When the body was taken home, Burpy slept in Eli's cold, lifeless palm in the coffin. When Eli was buried, he spent a lot of time beside the grave. He didn't want to let go, didn't want to say goodbye. He was hurt so badly, which must explain his behaviour towards us and his mood swings. Perhaps we had misunderstood him. I have to tell the whole Shane Gang about this. But would they believe me?

We listened with attentive ears as Twist explained to us the reason of Burpy's change while in the vet. I was saddened. Burpy was traumatised by the experience of watching Eli die. We were all fully recovered from that pain, but clearly he's been left emotionally dying and that his reactions towards us signified that he wanted to be left alone to emotionally die. I stood and went over to the cage. I gently opened the cage door. I had made my decision. I was gonna to apologize on behalf of the whole Shane Gang.

Junjie's coming. Now what does he want with me? Is he trying to get me out of this cage? No, don't you dare. I don't want to hurt you, but if I have to, I have to. Now get those leather-covered hands away from me before I give you a bite you'll never forget. No! Get away from me!

Burpy's lashing out again. We misunderstood him. Will he understand me now? I'm just trying to help.

I'm so glad my message got out to them, but Junjie decided to approach him on behalf of the whole gang. I'm nervous. My stomach jumps and my nerves are left edgy and ominous snarls and growling sounds came out from the cage. I'm scared. Will he be able to get him out safely?

Burpy's growling at me. I'm scared too, but I have to keep my cool. Come on...I almost got you...

What are you doing, idiot? I said get those hands away from me! I-am I being lifted out into the light? "Hey, Burpy! I hope you're okay, little buddy." Trixie. I remember that voice. Wait, is she calling me little buddy? "Look, bro, we're sorry we misunderstood you. We didn't know the reason for you behaving fiercely, not normal of a slug until Twisty here told us you were traumatised." Oh Kord...I remember how much you called Eli 'bro'! And you brought me back to him! Twist is right, I am traumatised, hurt by the experience, I regret pushing you guys away. I wanted a cuddle but isolated at the same time. Eventually I had my mind over matters, and I ended up passing my hurt to all of you. I'm so sorry! Please forgive me!

Twisty?! Kord, you're joking me, right? What's with the nickname, dude? Not even Eli calls me that! And if someone called me Twisty again, I would grind them to bits! Nobody calls me Twisty from now on!

Eh, Twist is yelling at Kord for calling him Twisty. Hilarious. I hear a small chirping, coming from my palm. I look down. A bandaged Joo-Joo was trying to reconcile with his crying brother. Go ahead, Joo. Talk to him.

Joo-Joooooooo! Wait, why are you in bandages? Oh, no, did I do this to him? I forgot, I menaced him last week. I-I'm so sorry, brother...aww, thanks for the hug, I needed that one. You, you forgive me? Thanks...I needed that too, oh I'm crying but it doesn't matter to me now. Well, needless too say, I learned my lesson. So here's my advice: When you're hurting, physically, mentally or emotionally, go and talk to someone about it. They will help you. And don't push others away or else you'll end up like me.