Chapter 34 - "I'm not losing you, got it!"

The moment the storage room was replaced with a vacant street, Taylor snatched her hand back, breathing hard. The timer read out thirty seconds. Her heart hammered inside her chest as if still keeping time with the ticking.

"Okay," she said, staring at the bomb, unable to take her eyes away as if it might start up again all on its own. "Okay...okay."

"It's out of the hotel," Dominic said.

Taylor nodded. "It is. Now I just have to...detach the timer."

"It's simple."

"Super simple."

Taylor didn't move. The strange calm she had felt a second before was gone. Panic was wrapping around her once again. They had escaped one disaster only to be faced with another. Though this one would cost two lives instead of a few dozen. Taylor swallowed hard, trying to force down her mounting fear.

"You should go," she said.

"What?"

Clenching her fist, she faced him. "Think about it. You walk away still in the Time Stop and once you drop it I'll detach the bomb and teleport myself out of here. This way if anything goes wrong at least it's not both of us that will..."

Taylor couldn't finish that sentence because already her fear was telling her to let the bomb go off and get away now.

"No, I'm staying."

"What would be the logic in that?" she said, throwing up her free arm.

"Because once you detach the timer, I can bring you into the Time Stop and we can both get out of here."

"But-"

"NO!" Dominic glared down at her. "Taylor, you are not going to convince me to leave. Being here is the best chance of you getting out too. I'm not losing you, got it!"

Taylor held his gaze and saw that there was no argument she could give that would make him leave. Part of her hated and loved him for that.

"Let's stop wasting time and do this," Dominic said.

Taking in a shuddering breath, Taylor spun back to the bomb. It wasn't possible but somehow it appeared bigger, the glow of the timer numbers a more menacing red.

"Tell me when to drop the Time Stop," Dominic said. "If you detach the timer in the Time Stop I'm not sure if we risk the possible explosion somehow coming with us."

"Right...but keep close."

Taylor reached out her hand, letting it hover over the timer. She visualized it separated from the bomb, none of the wires connecting any longer. Opening her eyes, she nodded once.

The chill of the night raced in around them, the breeze biting at their cheeks, the hum of life in the distance, the ticking of the clock. Taylor touched the timer and focused, trying to concentrate beyond the tick tiCK TICK that grew louder, the thundering of her heart as it ricocheted against her chest, her breath as it stuck in her throat, Dominic ceasing to breathe.

She sent the timer away, the ticking choked off.

The world ripped apart.

Searing heat exploded.

Blinding light erupted.

Dominic grabbed her.

Taylor spun towards him and yanked them away.

She felt her heart stop. She couldn't hear anything. She couldn't see anything.

She was trapped in a void that felt endless and crushing.