A House Divided

"You did this!"

I react out of anger at seeing her swollen and bruised belly, knowing this is exactly what I talked to her about a week ago and whatever this is..it is a danger to our people. I glare daggers at a numb looking Edward, he no doubt hearing everything I'd like to say, and not only because of how this will affect Charlie but what this could possible mean for those I'm supposed to protect.

"I didn't know it was even possible." Carlisle interjects as Edward looks to me, but I don't focus on him. I need to know what this is and how we can protect ourselves from it.

"What is it?"

"I'm not sure. Ultrasounds and needles won't penetrate the embryonic sac." Carlisle sighs frustrated, obviously having never encountered something like this. That thought makes me nervous.

"I can't see it, either. And I can't see Bella's future anymore." The pixie-haired one states with frustration. Suddenly all the different, movie-like, things I can think of start to swirl in my mind and for each version I try to think how we might be able to combat it...

"We've been researching legends, but there isn't much to go on. What we do know is that it's strong. And fast-growing." Wow, so if it's too strong for you bloodsuckers, you should probably find a way to get rid of it.. I scoff mentally.

"Why haven't you done anything? Take it out of her!" My irritation mounts, and I have to ask the most obvious question.

"This is none of your business, dog."

"Oh, this is all my business. Especially if I'm going to have to protect my people from whatever this is." I've had it with Blondie telling me what to do like I'll ever listen to her..she has no right to tell me what does and does not concern me.

"Rose! All this fighting isn't good for Bella." I contain any more angry responses, knowing talking like this isn't fair to Bella–while she's in the room, but I'm done letting these bloodsuckers believe they can just push the wolves around when they no longer need our help.

"The fetus isn't good for Bella." Alice responds sharply and I'm slightly surprised that the Cullen's are so divided over this matter.

"Say the word, Alice. Baby. It's just a little baby."

"Possibly." She responds sourly.

"Carlisle, you've gotta do something." I jump in, tired of hearing them all go back and forth on each other. We need answers and we need to figure out something as soon as possible.

"No. It's not his decision. It's not any of yours." Bella weakly interjects and before I can respond Edward is gaining my attention.

"Jacob, I need to talk to you." He simply walks outside after that and with a roll of my eyes, I follow the short distance.

"I always knew you'd destroy her." The venom lashes out before I can correct what it is I want to say, but I just let that sit with him for a bit.

"She thinks Carlisle can turn her at the last minute, like he did for Esme and I." He says, but not very convincingly.

"Can he? You don't sound so sure."

"The probability is slight. And if her heart fails... Look, Jacob, I need you to do something for me." I can't help the bitter laugh.. It's not like he's ever done anything for me.

"For her. You have a connection with her that I'll never understand. Maybe you could talk to her, change her mind. You can keep her alive." Any other time, before I had Adelaide, I'd really enjoy this broken and desolate Edward, but I don't have that relationship with Bella anymore.