Ch. 81 Party Part 1

The decision was made - I was going to be good and not go to the party. Let me rephrase that, I had every intention of not going to the party. 

The dorm was oddly quiet for a weekend night. I knew people were heading out to the birthday party, but it was still felt weird for it to be this silent. I guess everyone had left earlier than I thought they would.

I couldn't help but feel a pang of jealousy that they were all having fun together and I was here by myself, but then I figured I might as well do something productive to pass the time.

I changed into sweatpants and a t-shirt and decided I would spend the night going through some of my school books to see what I had missed while I was gone. I didn't want to look like a total moron on my first day back after all.

I had just opened the first book when I heard a small knock on my door.

"Come in!" I yelled. "It's unlocked."

The door opened just enough for Midoriya to poke his head into my room. "Hey..." he said, his voice even more timid than normal around me. "Shinso's not in here?"

"Hey," I said back. "No, he's not."

"So you're by yourself? Alone? Um... you haven't left for the party yet?" he asked, looking around nervously.

"Left? Obviously not since I'm still here. You can come in, you know, you don't have to stand in the hallway."

"Oh. Sorry. I just... okay." He scooted in, staying near the door as if he wanted to make sure he could run out at any second.

"Is everything okay with you?" I asked. "You're being weird."

"Yes! I mean... sort of? You just don't look like you're leaving for the party."

"That's because I'm not. Have fun though," I said, opening my book again.

"No," Midoriya said. "You have to go."

"Sorry," I said, a little taken back by his insistence. "I can't."

"But..."

"But what?"

"It's nothing, it's just..."

"Now you have to tell me."

"I'm not supposed to say! Kacchan will kill me."

"Midoriya, I will kill you myself if you don't tell me."

"Fine! It's not a birthday party. It's a party for you. And Shinso, too. To welcome you both to the dorm. It's supposed to be a surprise – please don't tell anyone I told you!"

I sighed. Of course they were doing something like that. These were essentially the nicest people in the universe.

So that was why they had all left so early. "Then you might as well cancel it," I said, "because he's at work and I told him I wouldn't go."

"That would be why he didn't answer my text." Then Midoriya stared at me, confused. "Wait, Shinso asked you not to go?"

"It's a long story."

"But we already rented a room for the party. And anyway my job was to make sure you got there. I can explain why Shinso isn't there, but I can't get there and say that you just didn't want to come. Please? Everybody else is already there."

"Hold up. You guys rented a room? Where?"

"It's at this bar not far from here."

"The one down the street?"