Ch. 16 Don't Be Shady

The more I texted back and forth with Shinso, the more I liked him. He was just the thing to take my mind off my inability to actually learn anything of value for my job.

I never had to probe him for answers and I didn't have to force a conversation about what he knew or didn't know. Talking with him was just natural and fun. He told me about his quirk and how he had been training on his own to be a hero, regardless of what course he was in. I had no doubt he would accomplish it. I was blown away that someone with a such a powerful and useful quirk was in general studies, especially considering some of the quirks I saw in the hero course were... not very useful.

Taking a bite of the pastry he'd brought this morning, I asked him about the upcoming midterm exam. "Do you have to take the general exam next week, too?" I asked him.

"Yep. Everyone does. Want to study together?"

I playfully nudged him in the side. "Study buddies, huh?"

"If we're both taking the same exam," he said, nudging me back, "we might as well help each other out."

I raised my eyebrows. "Can't you just brainwash the teacher to give us the answers during the exam?" I teased.

"That's not funny. Anyway, the Biology portion is going to be my downfall," he admitted.

"The History section is going to be mine."

"Yeah? I'm not bad at that."

"And I'm not bad at Biology."

"Which makes us the perfect study partners," he concluded. His smile faded and he looked more serious. I noticed that he took a deep breath. "You're always welcome at my apartment. We could study there whenever you wanted. Like after school... today?"

I looked at him slyly. "Oh so you want to take me home with you?"

His tone turned serious. "I don't want to take you anywhere. But I would like if it you willingly wanted to come over, today or some other time." He ran his hand through his hair while waiting to see what I said back. Seriously cute.

"I am... willing."

He seemed relieved. "Good. So want to go right now?"

"Someone's eager. Besides, we can't just ditch school."

"Maybe I am. Maybe I just really like you."

Whoa

I was shocked at how open he was being. I hadn't said anything, so he continued, "It's okay," he said. "You don't have to say anything to that. But now you know."

He was right. Now I knew.

As we chatted, Mr. Aizawa walked by us on his way into the building. He stopped when he saw us to tell us both good morning. From the look on his face, I could tell that he was trying to figure out what was going on between Shinso and I. This made me smirk. Was someone jealous?

"Oh and Y/N.." Aizawa said, as he turned to go inside. I felt everything tingle when he looked at me like that.

"Yes, sir?" I made sure to emphasize the word "sir." 

"I have an issue that I need your assistance with. Can you join me in the classroom in a few minutes?"

"Yes, sir," I said. Shinso looked back and forth between me and Mr. Aizawa. Could he feel the tension, too? 

Mr. Aizawa continued on into the building, but I had some guesses as to what this "issue" was.

"I owe him a lot, but he's an odd one," Shinso said after Aizawa was far enough away.