Ch. 26 The Gala

Tight dress, high heels, let's go.

On the outside, I was a vision of total confidence. I felt invigorated by the challenge of tonight. An opportunity to make small talk with heroes. An opportunity to get some dirt on a few of my classmates once they had a few drinks.

It. Was. On.

On the inside... it was a different story.

As I rode over to the city ballroom in the car Endeavor had sent for me, my thoughts went to everything I wanted to accomplish tonight.

First, look sexy. Check.

Second, see what info I could get from heroes associated with UA. Endeavor had suggested using alcohol to get them to talk. I knew that wasn't going to work with Aizawa, but who else might be there?

Third, try not to let the pressure get to me. I looked down at my hands. My palms felt wet, and my stomach was in knots. This one wasn't going so well.

Lucky for me, just as my car pulled up at the city ballroom, most of my friends arrived at the same time. Iida saw me getting out of the car and ran over to open my door. I tried telling him that he didn't have to do that, but he insisted. The formality was cute, and I had to admit that it was nice to not walk in by myself.

Besides, I hadn't spent much time with Iida, and I didn't know a lot about him. If I could get him to loosen up, he might be the perfect person to tell me about any strange behaviors he'd seen from his classmates.

"I want you to notice that I'm on time, class rep," I said to him chuckling as he held out his arm for me to hold. I took his arm with both hands, pressing against him just a little.

Let's see where this can go...

"I definitely... noticed," he said, averting his eyes and very obviously trying to avoid looking at me. I guess I had picked the perfect dress after all.

"I'm glad," I said as we walked toward the entrance. "But can we.. can we slow down?"

He stopped abruptly, looking around and noticing that we had walked way ahead of the rest of the group. Now it was just the two of us alone, waiting on them to catch up.

"I apologize, y/n. I have a tendency – "

"To go fast?" I interrupted.

He sighed. "Yes."

"That's okay," I smirked, moving a little closer to him and adjusting his tie that definitely didn't even need adjusting. "I go fast too."

If only I could have taken a picture of the look on his face right then. But just then our classmates caught up with us. Soon he was back to regular Iida, gathering us all together and making sure everyone had their ticket. Reflecting, I realized that my flirting might have made him actually tense up more, so I was going to have to think of another tactic.

Inside, the lights were dim in the ballroom, but as I looked around, I could see that Katsuki, Midoriya, and Shoto were already seated at one of the tables in the front, too far away to say anything to them, but I saw that they noticed when all of us came in. No sign of Endeavor, but he was probably too busy with something else to sit around or socialize.

"Open bar, baby!" Mineta yelled at us from across the room.

"Are we allowed to drink?" Momo whispered to me.

I looked at the people near us, most holding wine or champagne. "Looks like everyone else is."

"Classmates, do not disgrace yourself tonight," Iida began to lecture us. "There are potential employers in this room tonight, including the top heroes in the country. Act accordingly."