Ch. 46 A New Toy

"Can I ask you a question?" I asked as I dried my hair with a towel.

While I showered, Dabi had brought back coffee and breakfast. As strange as it was, we were now chatting like friends over coffee. I figured he had had multiple opportunities to hurt me and hadn't taken any of them, so I could relax a little. And he'd brought me food. I guess I was easily won over.

"Why are you in the League of Villains in the first place? You're almost... normal. For a villain."

"I have my own reasons," Dabi said. "They need me; I can use them. Besides, what makes someone a villain anyway?"

That was a good question, and it made me stop to think of all the times I had lied, the notes I was taking as I spied on my supposed friends. The money I was taking in exchange for... everything. I felt a little nauseated.

Hawks was the number two hero and he'd sold me out more times than I could count at this point. The number one hero had just hit me across the face a day or two ago, while a villain had just bought me breakfast.

Maybe at their cores, everyone was just terrible, no matter if they were a hero or not.

For some reason, I thought of Shinso.

No, everyone is not terrible. There are good people, but the terrible ones only end up hurting them.

For the first time, I really looked at Dabi. Really, intently looked at him as he sat next to me. We seemed to be around the same age, and I imagined both of us were doing what needed to do to survive.

I needed more information. That was why I was here after all.

"Is the League kind of like a family?" I asked. I thought back on all of those nights in the foster homes, surrounded by so many people but feeling so alone. What was it like to have people in your corner? People helping you and rooting for you?

"Family? No. Thankfully. They're idiots, but they're useful in their own way."

"Hm. Well, as much fun as this is," I said, putting down my coffee, "let's get down to business before the day goes on much longer."

"So impatient." 

"I didn't come with you to have breakfast and chat. Forgive me if I don't want my friends to worry about me longer than they have to."

"Don't worry. I made sure that they'd know where you'd gone or at least who you were with."

"And how exactly did you do that?"

"Let's just say I left a calling card back at the campsite."

I thought of the blue flames I'd seen in his hand just before the mist had taken us.

"What did you do?" I asked, standing up. "You said you wouldn't hurt them if I came with you! What did you do to them?"

"Sit down. They're fine. Your tent is probably a pile of ashes by now but the little heroes are all okay. As long as they didn't let the fire spread, at least. I'm counting on them eventually finding you anyway."

"What? Why?"

"They either think you burned in your tent, which will make them come after us, and then we get to fight them. Or they think I kidnapped you, which will also make them come fight us. Either way, win-win situation for the League." He shrugged.

No. No no no.

I was bait?

"It was a mistake to come here."

"You think?" he smirked.

"Thanks for everything, but I'm out," I said, standing up and finding my shoes.

"No."

I ignored him, and was looking for my bag when he grabbed my hand.

"I said, no. I thought I told you that you don't get to make the rules here."

"You don't own me and you aren't going to hurt me, so stop pretending."

Still holding my wrist, Dabi laughed. "That's where you're wrong. I got to take Endeavor's toy from him and I got a new toy of my own. And if I get mad, I just might break my toy."

"I'm not your toy."

"Just like you weren't his?"

I didn't answer that.

"No smart ass answer, huh? Tell me," he said, leaning close to my ear, "did you enjoy being his whore? Was it worth it?"

I took a deep breath, using every technique I could think of to calm down and not hit him right then and there.

"Sounds like Hawks gave you some faulty intel," I told him coolly. "Endeavor is done with me. I bet he doesn't even know or care where I am."

"Aw, did you two have a fight?"

"Sort of," I admitted. "I told him he wasn't a hero."

Dabi laughed, a deep throaty laugh.

"And basically that his son hated him."

More laughter.

"And then he hit me."

Dabi nodded. "Sounds like you got off easy."

"I guess."

"Okay, toy, enough talking," he growled, bringing me in close. "I'm ready to play."