Chapter 10- The Lunch Box (Part 2):

We walked together in complete silence, Jean refusing to even look at me. Soon, I got tired of it: "Jean, what is your problem?" I prodded.

"Nothing. I'm fine. Let's find the lunchbox."

"Jean, seriously," I stepped in front of him, "What did I do?"

"Oh, I don't know, (Y/N), why don't you ask Yeager, since the two of you are so close all of a sudden," he mocked. "Why aren't you wearing his sweatshirt? It's so cold outside!"

"That's what this is about? Because Eren gave me his jacket?"

He didn't reply.

"Jean, I didn't take it voluntarily! He just threw it over my head and left before I could say anything!"

"So?" he mumbled. "You still decided to wear it."

"I decided to wear it so I could actually play with our team!" I shoved Jean in the chest. "You of all people should know that I do not like Eren Yeager in any way! He's an asshole!"

"Who's an asshole?" Someone appeared behind us in the bushes. It was Eren and Armin.

"No one," I answered. "Where's Mikasa?"

"I told her to go with Annie. I thought the two of them together would have the highest chance of us actually finding the player cards," Armin replied.

"What are you guys doing here, Yeager? This is where (Y/N) and I were told to look," Jean growled.

"We didn't see anything at our spot so we decided to keep walking," Eren said nonchalantly. "Is there a problem with that, Jean?"

I looked at Jean and motioned for him to cool off. He ignored me.

"I'LL KILL YOU YEAGER!!!" Jean sprinted at Eren.

"Wha—" Eren was sent flying backwards in the dirt. "My lip asshole! Do you want us to lose the tournament or something?! What's your problem?!" he said angrily.

"You're my problem, Goddamnit! Stay away from my friends!" Jean went in for a kick, but Eren rolled out of the way.

"You guys!" Armin pleaded, "Stop!" But it was too late. Eren was just as irritated now and now both boys were coming at each other at full speed.

I wasn't sure what to do. When I decided to step in a black-haired figure slid in between the two boys and shoved Jean down.

"Eren," Mikasa turned to face him. "We found the lunchbox. It's time to go."

Mikasa led Armin and Eren away and left Jean in the dirt. I walked over to him and extended my hand. Reluctantly, he took it and I pulled him off the ground.

"Jean, if it really matters that much, I won't wear the hoodie," I said as I dusted him off.

"You can do what you want. I just don't want Eren to ruin everything." Jean sighed. "I know he and I aren't technically enemies, but it's annoying, seeing him treating you like garbage and then all of a sudden deciding to be decent."

"Shouldn't we just make the best of it?" I suggested. "I mean, isn't it a good thing that Eren's being nice to me?"

"Yes, and no. It seems like he's being manipulative so you owe him one later," he mused.

"Oh, so you're saying nobody wants to be friends with me unless they get something out of it?" I extrapolated.

Jean held up his hands in defense. "No! No, I didn't mean it like that at all! I'm just saying, Eren's never been a very consistent person is all. I don't want you to get close to him and then have him suddenly push you away. That'll feel awful." He paused. "All I want is for things to go in your best interest. That's all."

"Well, I appreciate it, Jean, but next time, let me decide whether Eren needs a punch on my behalf." I reached up and flicked his forehead playfully. "Let's go."