Chapter 15- Important:

Eren's POV:

I awoke to the sound of laughter and turned to see that (Y/N) and Jean were both missing. I stopped behind the stairs out of eyesight and paused to listen:

"Oh my God, Jean you are so stupid!" (Y/N) said, and a crash. The silence lasted too long; I assumed there was something going on between them.

Finally, Jean spoke: "Erm, if you're wondering where everyone else is, they all went to the town nearby to check it out." Wow, great timing, Jean!

"Cool, cool," (Y/N) stuttered. Yikes. Sounds awfully awkward.

"Well, um, anyway, I'm gonna go to the field to practice." I heard footsteps getting louder and jumped behind the wall. At the same time I saw him, Kirschtein saw me. He looked at me with frightened eyes.

"Jean," I heard (Y/N) say, "Door to the field's that way." After stealing one more glance at me, Jean turned around saying, "Ha, I guess you're right." I heard his footsteps disappear.

My time to shine.

I got to the bottom of the steps and made my way over to (Y/N). She had ripped off her bandages, and my sweatshirt was placed beside her on the counter.

"Where'd Kirschtein go? I could've sworn I heard his obnoxious neighing down here," I teased.

"He, uh, went to the soccer field to practice."

"Oh." I grabbed some orange juice and continued, "Not like it's any of my business, but— what the heck is going on with you two?" I gave her a look of false confusion. "Kind of rude for him to just walk out— especially since he was so adamant about staying with you earlier, when you were knocked out on the bed." Heh. Jean, I have you cornered. If she didn't realize before, she's probably realized it by now.

(Y/N) flailed her arms in aggitation: "There's nothing going on! I have no idea what you're talking about." Now comes the true question, my Horse-friend: does she like you back?

I hoped that the answer would be 'no', mostly because it would ruin Jean's life and I love to see him suffer. I wasn't sure why the rest of me wanted her to reject him— but I doubted there was an understandable explanation, so I dropped it.

I turned towards her and brought our faces close enough to where she had no choice but to look me in the eyes. Her face flushed even more crimson as she was approached by a state of panic. I found this to be quite enjoyable. She had refused to react to anything I had done to her until now. When I irritated her at school, she would just ignore me. But this? My gaze piercing hers? She could never. If I had known it was this easy to rile her up I would've tried this method sooner.

"Then why is your face still red?" I breathed in question. This was hysterical! She was so easy to fluster! I could feel my face redden as I hid a laugh.

When I was sure I had the upper hand, (Y/N) surprised me. She leaned even closer to my face— I could hear her short, light breaths as she stared at me, unyielding. "Yeager," she questioned harshly, "what are you implying? Nothing happened."

So now, it had become a duel. Who would be the first to shy away?

I knew it wouldn't be me. After all, I initiated this in the first place. It would only be right if I were to win.

I narrowed me eyes and stared deeply into her soul. "Don't act so innocent, (L/N)."

The girl was looking for something in my eyes, but I hid my intentions well.

Her pupils dilated as she said it:

"Make me."

Oh. My head burst into flames. I couldn't let her see that she was getting something out of me too.

I pushed her up against the wall and hid my crimson face from (Y/N) by breathing into her ear.

"I don't know if you remember what I told you the first time we met—" I threatened, "—but I had said that you'd better watch yourself—" I felt my cheeks cool off, so I brought my face back, close enough to where our lips were almost touching. "—Or you're gonna regret it."

I heard Sasha and Connie burst through the door dancing happily: "We're homeeee!!"

Damnit. They ruined it. I was so close to revenge. Halfway through the encounter with (Y/N), I realized that if I had let something happen between us, it would absolutely destroy Kirschtein. And that would forever give me the upper hand in all of our fights.

But, it was too late. In aggravation, I struck the wall, my hand inches away from (Y/N)'s face. She flinched. I wasn't really in the mood for team-bonding, so I snuck out the back door as everyone streamed in. I knew, of course, that Mikasa had seen me, and soon enough, her footsteps were in sync with mine.

"How are you doing?" Mikasa was always very blunt. She stared straight ahead as we walked down the dirt path to the soccer field.

"Fine."

"Armin said he saw you at the foot of the bed sitting by (Y/N)."

"Yeah, when she was passed out."

"Why did you bother staying? It's not like you to waste your time on pointless people."

"I had nothing better to do," I replied shortly.

"You could've gone to town with me and Armin," she replied in a monotone voice.

"You're not my mom, Mikasa."

"No," she agreed. "But unlike (L/N), I'm important to you."

I didn't reply.