Chapter 58- Dress Shopping:

When I awoke, it was ten in the morning, and I had gotten a flood of texts from Historia. Instead of reading all 24 messages, I decided to call her.

She picked up almost immediately and yelped into the receiver: "(Y/N)!! Did you read my messages?"

"No," I said honestly. "What's up?"

"The girls and Hanji and I are going shopping for the dance today. Do you want to come with us?" she asked excitedly.

"What dance?" I replied groggily, still waking up.

"Our last dance before the year ends! Don't you remember? It's in two weeks! We've got to start shopping now!"

"Oh, I forgot about that..."

To be honest, the dance had been the last thing on my list of concerns. I suppose the year had passed by more quickly than I'd thought. I had been so focused on school and Eren and Jean that it had slipped my mind. At this point, I wasn't even sure I wanted to go.

"So, will you come?" Historia interrupted my train of thought. "It'll just be Ymir, Sasha, Annie, and Hanji. And you and I, of course."

"Of course..." I mumbled. I heard my parents downstairs. I didn't really want to see them. "Yeah, sure, I'll go," I said flatly.

"Great! We'll pick you up in five!"

"Sounds good."

I hung up and slowly pushed myself out of bed. I wasn't sure I had the energy for this today, but I knew it would be a good thing— it would help me keep my mind off of the bad stuff. Plus, it had been awhile since I had hung out with my friends, especially just the girls. While I got dressed and washed my face, I began to look forward to today more and more.

I heard a car honk in front of my house and peeked out the window. Ymir was driving. I sprinted downstairs, yelling a quick hello and goodbye to my parents, telling them I'd talk to them later, because today was really important and I couldn't miss it— or something like that. Of course, that wasn't entirely true, but they didn't have to know that.

I jumped into the backseat and squeezed next to Hanji.

"(Y/N)!" they squealed. "Are you excited?"

I shrugged awkwardly. "Sure..."

"Hanji, stop pushing me," Annie said seriously. She was pushed up against the left side of the car. Historia sat in the passenger's seat.

Hanji relaxed and straightened themselves out. "Sorry, Annie. It's a little tight back here."

"It's fine."

"Anyway..." Historia changed the subject. "What do you think you're going to wear this year, Hanji? Suit or dress?"

"Not sure. I'm still debating. I figured I'll check out the dress selection with you guys before I make any final decisions."

"You looked good in a suit last year," Ymir said from the front, keeping her eyes on the road.

"Aw, thank you, Ymir!" Hanji beamed.

I asked Annie from the side: "So, what made you decide to come with today, Annie? I assumed dances weren't really your thing."

She stared out the window apathetically. "They aren't. I was forced to come. Apparently, I need to 'get out more'."

The longer the group conversed in the car, the more I felt like we were missing something. I haven't heard about food in awhile...

"Wait, where's Sasha?" I asked.