Chapter 65- The Dance (Part 4):

Eren's POV:

Someone approached me a few moments later:

"Wow, Yeager. What planet are you living on?"

I spun to face Jean, finding his lips upturned in a mocking smile.

"Well," I started, "I thought I was on Earth, but when Mikasa said 'yes' to your cringeworthy dance invitation, I realized I was definitely somewhere else. Planet Stallion, perhaps?"

Jean's smirk quickly vanished and he frowned, "I'll have you know, Mikasa had a pretty good time."

"Uh-huh... And did she say that herself?" I asked unbelievingly.

"Yes, actually, she did," he said proudly. "So why don't you fuck off?"

"Why don't I fuck off? Why don't you fuck off, Jean? I didn't invite you over to come talk to me," I retaliated.

He rolled his eyes. "Dude, seriously. You should be thanking me. I'm here to save your ass. Be grateful."

"Grateful for what?!" I retorted. "All you've done is criticize me— like you do all the time!"

"Well, lucky for you, Yeager," he began, "I managed to catch the last few moments of your interaction with (Y/N)... before she left you. Alone. In the middle of a dance. Right before you tried to kiss her." Jean made a poor attempt to cover a laugh.

I sighed in exasperation, "Okay, so what?"

"So, I, being the hero that I am, have chosen to help you— yet again— fix your trivial issues with (Y/N) that only exist because the both of you are so painfully oblivious your interactions with each other cause the entire planet to lose braincells."

Ouch, Jean. I did my best to stay calm: "Do I even want your help? Last time, your 'assistance' equaled you beating the shit out of me."

"Hm..." Jean thought for a moment, staring at the ceiling. "True, but we're in public now, so that's not an option. Plus, if I want to see Mikasa again, I have to do some charity work for you."

"Speaking of Mikasa, where is she?" I asked, hoping his answer would allow me to land one hit in between the series of quips and blows he was attacking me with during our brief conversation.

"Armin asked for her," Jean said shortly.

Damnit.

"Anyway," he continued, "Why don't we go talk somewhere else? I don't like to be seen standing in the middle of a crowded dance floor talking to my mortal enemy." Jean began walking off the floor, motioning for me to follow him.

I started walking, then stopped. Wait, why am I listening to him? What does Jean know about any of this? He only saw two seconds of what happened. I thought harder, trying to pinpoint a reason, any reason, that showed that (Y/N) and I didn't have a problem, and that Jean didn't need to intervene.

"Hold it, Jean," I said.

He turned and looked at me with a confused expression.

"What makes you think I need any help? (Y/N) was practically dying to kiss me a few seconds ago! I don't see a problem with that— do you?"

"But she didn't kiss you, did she, Yeager?" he countered snidely.

"And? So what? Why does that warrant you to take action?"

"Tell me, Eren, do you know why she left you here looking like a fool a few minutes ago?"

I didn't have an answer.