Chapter 34- Jean:

When I awoke the sky was still pitch black. I checked my phone. It was four in the morning. There was no sound coming from downstairs. My guess was that everyone had fallen asleep. When I pushed myself up from the bed, I felt something in my hand. It was the folded piece of paper Eren had handed to me earlier. It had my name written in sloppy letters. I threw the paper across the room angrily.

    "STUPID!" I yelled, not caring if anyone heard me. I decided to text Jean. I asked if we could talk sometime soon and resolve this, hoping to be given the opportunity to explain myself. He didn't reply, and I pinned that under the excuse that he was probably asleep. I wasn't sure what to do if he never answered. The longer we waited to talk about it, the more stories Jean could generate inside his head until there was no convincing him. I sighed deeply. Please respond.

    I didn't feel guilty about kicking Eren out. I had no reason to be nice to him. It was his choice to walk all the way over here— not mine. He should've known better. I replayed his expression in my head when I had spoken so coldly to him. Eren's face had gone blank and he pretended it hadn't affected him, but I saw it in his eyes that he was hurt. Like I said though, he should've known better. You can only apologize for so many things.

    I unlocked my phone again to call Jean. Am I being too clingy? I thought better of it. If I kept bothering him, he'd assume I had something to hide. Which I didn't. Right?

    I tried to close my eyes and fall asleep, but my vision was stuck on a loop of what had happened earlier. I didn't expect Jean to be so upset— and to be so unreasonable, too. Normally, I feel like he would have given me the chance to explain. I assumed that his abrasive reaction had something to do with his and Eren's stupid rivalry.

    The weekend passed by in a blur. I spent most of my time thinking of Jean, wondering if we were ever going to talk again. I sent him a text every morning, begging for him to come talk to me. I told him to meet me at the park whenever. He never replied, but I stayed at the park all day anyway, watching the sunset. January was getting quite cold and my jackets never seemed to be warm enough, but I never went back home to grab more. I didn't want to miss Jean if he ever came by. Out of boredom, I carved the letter 'J' into a tree. Maybe if Jean came by, he'd see it and know who it was from. Probably not. It was too obscure.

    It was Sunday night. The sun had long set, but this was my last chance to talk to Jean before school, so I stayed late. My phone buzzed. I scrambled to find it, my heart hopeful. My face fell. The text was from an unknown number— but it wasn't Eren's.

    —————————————————

    Xxx-Xxx-xxxX

    I'm sorry.

    —————————————————

    "Eh?" I said aloud. I typed back, asking who it was.

    —————————————————

    Xxx-Xxx-xxxX

    It's Mikasa.

    —————————————————

    I waited a few moments before answering. Why was Mikasa texting me? How did she get my number? My phone notified me that she was still typing.

    —————————————————

    Xxx-Xxx-xxxX

    I talked to Eren.