Tola: Part One

The ship felt like it was cloaked in a heavy fog. Almost everywhere she went, Tola tasted melancholy. It was bitter, like over brewed tea.

It was moments like this when she understood why Luca was so careful about what he touched. She couldn't stop sensing the things she did—the pain of her siblings the sense of loss and fear that hovered over them all as they worried about what had happened to Cassandra—but if there was a way to avoid it, sometimes she thought she would.

But no, she wouldn't. If she didn't feel their pain, how would she know when they were hurting? How else would she know they needed her help?

Out of everyone, Adoette and Matteo felt the calmest. There was, of course still a hint of sadness and concern in their souls, but their resolve was firm as ever. Arian had too much restless energy to qualify as calm. He always had restless energy, but it was far more than usual. The others were varying degrees of sad and nervous, from Luca's shimmering anxiety, to Gideon's quiet but intense nerves, to the thick and heavy sorrow that clung to Helen like tar.

Something was wrong with Helen, something more than the fact that her twin sister was missing, but Tola wasn't sure how to ask about it. Helen kept her worry close to her chest. It was bound to burn her one day, but that didn't stop her from doing it.

I hope she realizes we want to help her. No one wants her to be hurt.

"Do you think Helen is going to be okay?" Tola asked Gideon.

Gideon shrugged. "She's strong, but I know she takes on a lot. More than she should. How does she feel to you?"

"She's said. Very sad. Heavy." Tola hated how heavy her sister felt. "I want to help, but I don't think she'll let me."

"She definitely won't," Gideon said. He was always blunt. Usually, she didn't mind, but today it made her frustrated. "And you can't help her if she won't let you, so don't go blaming yourself for anything. Okay?"

He was right. She didn't want to hear it, but he was right.

"I'll try not to." It wasn't a promise she was sure she could keep, but she'd try. "Gideon?"

"Hmm?"

"Do you think Cassandra will be okay?"

Gideon sighed softly. "I hope so." He wrapped one protective arm around Tola, hugging her carefully. "We'll do everything we can."

It was strange; she knew people were afraid of Gideon, and that some (including Gideon himself) saw him as monstrous. She didn't see it. She had only ever known him to be wondrously kind—especially when it mattered.

Everyone still felt tense at dinner, but fortunately, Arian was there to break that tension. "So, what's our game plan for when we get to New Frontier?" he asked abruptly near the end of the meal. "Because if it's as bad as everyone says, we're going to need one."

"We'll find out where Cassandra got her next job, where it is, and get out as soon as possible," Helen said. "We'll keep our heads down. No getting involved in anything but finding Cassandra."

"Especially nothing gang-related. But where could she have gone from there?" Adoette said. "There can't be too many jobs, especially if things are as bad as everyone says. Doubt there's too much in the way of exports that need shipping."

"Unless it's something illegal," Arian pointed out.

"Or," Matteo interjected, "she left of her own accord because no one is keeping her there. Maybe if we're lucky, she told someone where she's going." Tola liked Matteo's optimism. She just hoped it wasn't false hope. Before Matteo could keep speaking, he grimaced and pulled out one of his hearing aids." I'm going to go work on this. I don't want to go in there with half my hearing."