Adoette: Part One

The second you told people you were in the cyber security business—which was usually followed by you clarifying that yeah, that was just a fancy way to say hacker—they started asking you to do all kinds of crazy stuff. Can you get me nudes from this person? Can you erase my debt? Can you hack into my ex's home security? A lot of people thought it was safe to show her their ugly sides for some reason. Typically, all Adoette had to do was give them a long look and a flat no and people would leave her alone.

Typically. Some people liked to be persistent. That was when you had to get forceful.

axis_mundi: I already said no. I don't care how much money you have. I'm not doing it.

Adoette had half a mind to just block this guy and log off chat, but she needed to make sure he got the point. She knew who he was—he might have kept making throwaway accounts and acting like this was the first time they'd ever spoken, but she knew better. The genetic lottery, now affected by space radiation as it was, had gifted her with the mixed blessing of being able to recall pretty much everything she'd ever seen or heard back to her pre-K days (and even a smattering of details before that). It made cross-checking details from his chats really easy. No need to dig through her chat logs or anything.

This was the guy's third attempt to get her to dig up dirt on his brother. Something about an inheritance dispute? She'd already forgotten because she didn't care. Problem was, he cared a lot, and he was trying really hard to get her to care as much as he did. Mostly his attempts involved throwing money at her. Sorry, buddy, but that's not going to cut it. Some of us have morals.

axis_mundi: If you keep making accounts to bother me, I swear, I will show you firsthand exactly what I'm capable of. Do you understand?

There was a pause. Then: throwaway8910 is typing...

That pop-up message lingered far longer than usual. That probably meant she was about to get a lengthy rant about what a bitch she was for not helping him and how he could make her regret it. Awesome. Adoette re-considered her decision to not block him immediately. She could always make good on her threat if he made "throwaway111213" and kept bothering her. Before she could make the decision, a new message popped up.

starman2585: hey how do I reset my password

Adoette smiled. She knew that username: it was one of her brothers, Luca.

axis_mundi: You know damn well how to reset your own password you dork

starman2585: yeah but I know how much you love getting stupid questions J How are you?

axis_mundi: Currently dealing with someone asking stupid questions actually

starman2585: boo

starman2585: I have something that might be a good excuse to get out of the conversation

axis_mundi: Oh?

starman2585: so we think something is up with cassie but we're not sure how to find her. Thoughts?

Cassie—her older sister, Cassandra. That was weird.

axis_mundi: Helen hasn't been able to contact her?

starman2585: no and she's tried. I think something's up but she's not telling me