Tola: Part Five

Arian planned on leaving early that day. He asked Matteo at the breakfast table if he wanted to come with. "Usually, I'd bring Gideon, but no offense, big guy..." He patted Gideon on the arm. "This is going to require a subtle touch and you're a bit intimidating. And you act a little bit like an undercover cop sometimes."

Gideon considered that, then shrugged. "None taken."

"Though, that reminds me," Arian added quickly, "Tola, do you want to come, too? People like talking to you. You're wholesome and shit."

It was clear the rest of the family wasn't thrilled at the concept, especially Gideon, but Tola liked to hear it. "I think I could help," she said. "Please? Arian and Matteo will make sure I'm okay."

"I do have a tazer," Matteo said. "I can keep an eye on her."

"And you know she doesn't need your permission, right?" Arian added. "She's a grown adult. She can do whatever she wants."

That was true, but it still felt like a rude thing to say. Tola asked Helen because it was polite...and because she was kind of in charge. She'd always been in charge when Mom and Dad weren't there. Tola glanced at Helen; she didn't ask for permission out loud, not wanting to agitate Arian more, but asking for it quietly.

Helen sighed. "Okay, you can go. But only if Arian promises he won't drag you into anything too crazy."

Arian rolled his eyes. "Yeah, yeah, I know, I'm not that stupid." He started eating more quickly, so much so that Tola almost reminded him to chew. "We'll be fine. Don't worry about it."

Helen didn't look wholly convinced. Tola tried to ignore that, not wanting to think that she didn't believe in them. She was probably just a bit worried, mostly about Cassandra, and that worry was spreading to all of them.

"Okay, so, best place to start is usually at 24 hour convenience stores, if there are any still open," Arian announced as he stood and started gathering the breakfast dishes. "If they aren't directly involved, they'll probably know something. Those clerks really do know..."

The conversation was cut off by the buzz of their doorbell. Everyone started at each other in confusion. "...were we expecting someone?" Luca asked nervously.

"It's probably the cops," Adoette said irritably. "So, what's our cover story?"

"Mostly the truth," Helen said. "We don't know where she is and we don't have any contact with her. You can say why if the conversation needs it, but don't tell them where you three are planning on going. Got it?"

"What about..."

"You can ask for a lawyer if they start getting aggressive, but for now, let's stay calm and try cooperating. It might work out in our favor.

Adoette and Arian didn't look happy at that. They both believed you should never talk to the police without a lawyer. Tola knew their reasons, but she was inclined to agree with Helen. Being honest was the right thing to do; it had to be. There wasn't any reason for the police to arrest them, right?

She hoped so.

Tola tried to stay optimistic as Helen let the police in. It was difficult when they were split up for the questioning.

"So, you haven't heard from your sister in a few months?"

"No."

"How many, exactly?"

"I don't know."

"Was she working for Solo Industries at that time?"

"No. She worked for Nexus Freight at the time."